New Endings

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd love to see a corps actually hold off until Finals with something significant.

The Vanguard did that in the last century by adding Bottle Dance only for finals.  They had phasing problems and it was a hot mess.

Edit:  As I read further into the thread I see where @Terri Schehr made the same observation.  My apologies for being redundant.

Edited by wvu80

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Is there ever a cold mess situation?

If you let it sit a few minutes, yes!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

And he is a straight up beast because of it. Let me wipe out with tenors. 911 followed by an ambulance ride would have been next up for me.

Yeah...wiping out with 40 lbs of tubs strapped to me falls somewhere in the "NOPE" section on my bucket list. I did lose my snare once in rehearsal when my Ludwig fibervest broke but that was minor. I had a shell collapse during warmups once too. I guess that creaking noise when we were torquing it should have been a clue. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The Vanguard did that in the last century by adding Bottle Dance only for finals.  They had phasing problems and it was a hot mess.

Edit:  As I read further into the thread I see where @Terri Schehr made the same observation.  My apologies for being redundant.

Curiously a number of people who saw that hot mess live say they didn't notice anything wrong until they saw the show again on video. Apparently the crowd was so loud that not only did it throw the corps off but at least part of the audience couldn't hear that it was off.

But I think this is like the generals who always fight the last war. One time that a corps added something big for Finals, it went wrong. How many other things that corps have done have gone wrong, only to be repeated?

Of course, a really daring corps would save a new ending only for their Finals encore.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Wow!  thank you so much for posting this - I needed it and ended up watching the whole thing.  When did we lose our sense of humor in drum corps?  I loved it.

For anyone who wants to see what the new ending added to the Velvet Knights' 1992 show, this is the video link to their semifinal performance (need to unmute the audio to listen to it). The famous "crocodile" had not yet made its debut. But, after watching this I realized that the "King of the Monsters" was yet ANOTHER finals night addition. Given that VK missed the cut for finals the year before, and were far from a sure bet to make it to finals the following night, how the hell did they manage to hold back two of their best gags until the finals performance?

VK 1992 Semifinal - Magical Mystery Tour III

Seeing the irreverence of the drum majors during intros and the whole setup with the pit dressed as airport runway workers brings back just how much audiences loved this corps. They were silly, but also dead serious about entertaining and winning over the crowd.

Edited by Woochifer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2