New Endings

I'm sure we will be seeing a lot of new endings over the next week or so. Just a little under 3.5 weeks left in the season. I guess it depends on how much of an ending the corps' design staff feels it needs. A small tweak or rewrite might allow them to put it in with 2 weeks to go, maybe less...perhaps even during Finals week.  A more major rewrite will take time to teach, clean, and get a decent read from the judges. 

• Like 2

I saw this new ending that was added one time where a whole Corps got in a line across the field (perpendicular to the end zone), and then moved forward as a group in tandem, directly towards the audience while playing really loud.

It was cool...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Curiously a number of people who saw that hot mess live say they didn't notice anything wrong until they saw the show again on video. Apparently the crowd was so loud that not only did it throw the corps off but at least part of the audience couldn't hear that it was off.

But I think this is like the generals who always fight the last war. One time that a corps added something big for Finals, it went wrong. How many other things that corps have done have gone wrong, only to be repeated?

That’s true.  I was there in Denver and the audience went nuts.  I listened to the album and it was way off.

• Like 1

hype: " new ending is in, this is it, we'll win"

reality: " new ending is in...what the ####?"

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

hype: " new ending is in, this is it, we'll win"

reality: " new ending is in...what the ####?"

Ain’t that the truth.

If it’s your corps and you’re a homer, the prospect of a new ending equals major point gains. To my eye, though, anything other than natural tweaks and organic layering is a bad sign. Brings to mind the last few years GH was at Cadets. Forgoing cleaning at this point in the season in favor of teaching wholesale rewrites will only help a corps maintain a position at best and keep them from tanking further due to a bad design; it won’t propel a corps forward in the rankings. That’s why I’m always leery when someone says, bright eyed and bushy tailed, “x corps has a nEw EnDiNg!!1!” New as in already planned and learned, or new as in...new? 

• Like 2

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I totally agree with this!  Besides a spearing killing or a little girl coming out of book, there has not been any ending that has completely changed the outcome of finals week.  I'd even argue that it was the performance itself and how much the groups cleaned, added emotion and continued to refine their show that made the difference, not the ending.  

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'd love to see a corps actually hold off until Finals with something significant.

Did BD do something like that in 2000 with the ending tag to their show? 

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Curiously a number of people who saw that hot mess live say they didn't notice anything wrong until they saw the show again on video. Apparently the crowd was so loud that not only did it throw the corps off but at least part of the audience couldn't hear that it was off.

A little-known secret, in 95 during Finals, half the BD hornline missed the step-off at the start of the show because they couldn't hear the chimes over the initial noise of the crowd. You wouldn't know it watching the video. Kings & Queens of Recovery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I totally agree with this!  Besides a spearing killing or a little girl coming out of book, there has not been any ending that has completely changed the outcome of finals week.  I'd even argue that it was the performance itself and how much the groups cleaned, added emotion and continued to refine their show that made the difference, not the ending.  

I agree with you and Jake W. PR 2008 and BD 2015 are the only closers in the last 20 years that truly propelled their respective corps to victories. The I am Spartacus in 08 was classic and iconic. And Clara singlehandedly won that 2015 title for BD. That young lady pulled Ink together.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jake W. said:

Ain’t that the truth.

If it’s your corps and you’re a homer, the prospect of a new ending equals major point gains. To my eye, though, anything other than natural tweaks and organic layering is a bad sign. Brings to mind the last few years GH was at Cadets. Forgoing cleaning at this point in the season in favor of teaching wholesale rewrites will only help a corps maintain a position at best and keep them from tanking further due to a bad design; it won’t propel a corps forward in the rankings. That’s why I’m always leery when someone says, bright eyed and bushy tailed, “x corps has a nEw EnDiNg!!1!” New as in already planned and learned, or new as in...new? 

imagine if 89 Cadets had the ending we all know and love in June.