New Endings

16 hours ago, kkrepps said:

I saw this new ending that was added one time where a whole Corps got in a line across the field (perpendicular to the end zone), and then moved forward as a group in tandem, directly towards the audience while playing really loud.

It was cool...

sounds radical 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I totally agree with this!  Besides a spearing killing or a little girl coming out of book, there has not been any ending that has completely changed the outcome of finals week.  I'd even argue that it was the performance itself and how much the groups cleaned, added emotion and continued to refine their show that made the difference, not the ending.  

I think Crown's new ending in 2016 changed the outcome 

• Haha 1

Regiment 03, collapsing into the block with the leg kick. That was finals week, right? Crowd was totally with them at Finals, we pretty much couldn't hear the last chord. And they topped Vanguard that night.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

hype: " new ending is in, this is it, we'll win"

reality: " new ending is in...what the ####?"

100% this! I don't get "excited" for new endings, I get excited that the design is basically done then and they can put all their effort into final tweaks and cleaning.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Nah it may have stopped some people getting out of their seats at the end but judging wise it made no difference at all. If anything, BD's changes helped push their GE over Crown but BD does this every year to most corps in the last half of the year just because of how they design their shows.

6 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Nah it may have stopped some people getting out of their seats at the end but judging wise it made no difference at all. If anything, BD's changes helped push their GE over Crown but BD does this every year to most corps in the last half of the year just because of how they design their shows.

Yes I just disagree - it was too flat an ending for that show that went and went 

and I’m talking stylistically not the political side of it which I didn’t really care about one way or the other

I think some endings can help out, the best ones are the ones that look and sound planned from the get go that get implemented at the right time.   

An early season ending that sticks out to me that I really liked was Bluecoats in 2015.  Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED their haul ### building the intensity to 12 ending they ended what is probably my favorite DCI show with.   But their early season one had a final chord that had the brass gradually fade out as white noise emerged beneath it before suddenly clicking off to silence.  I think that was a neat idea that would have been cool to explore more.  I don’t mind what they ended up doing though.  🙂

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 2:57 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

But I think this is like the generals who always fight the last war. One time that a corps added something big for Finals, it went wrong. How many other things that corps have done have gone wrong, only to be repeated?

I know what you mean, but I was just responding the the tread topic, "New endings."  The SCV Bottle Dance was the only one I knew of.

From my point of view as a fan, I don't know what a corps can add points-wise with a new ending.  It seems like that could go either way, especially if the crowd gets confused by the new ending and doesn't go crazy.  I think semis is the latest I would change the last minute or so.

Edited by wvu80

One time (a time called 2005), our design staff gave us a new, quiet ending 12 days before finals. Passed out the drill sheets and started teaching it. Our biggest problem all year had been achievement- we had hard drill and music for a semifinals corps (Sacktig and Bocook); we certainly didn't need more to learn.

Over lunch, the non-design staff (who actually had to clean the stuff) revolved, and the new ending was never heard from again.

8 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Oof. I for one loved that new closer