New Endings

6 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I think some endings can help out, the best ones are the ones that look and sound planned from the get go that get implemented at the right time.   

An early season ending that sticks out to me that I really liked was Bluecoats in 2015.  Don’t get me wrong, I LOVED their haul ### building the intensity to 12 ending they ended what is probably my favorite DCI show with.   But their early season one had a final chord that had the brass gradually fade out as white noise emerged beneath it before suddenly clicking off to silence.  I think that was a neat idea that would have been cool to explore more.  I don’t mind what they ended up doing though.  🙂

I still love 2015 Bloo but I have to admit I liked the show even more at the tour premiere than I did at finals when they added a bunch of changes 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, Jeff Ream said:

hype: " new ending is in, this is it, we'll win"

reality: " new ending is in...what the ####?"

Cavaliers '03...they put that ending in at San Antonio and was all like, que?

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Oof. I for one loved that new closer 

unfortunately the crowd response was less enthusiastic than for the prior ending

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

unfortunately the crowd response was less enthusiastic than for the prior ending

Yeah and I understand why, it took a hyped ending and made it more mellow. 

But the way I saw it, there's a lot of things bigger than drum corps and especially with the current events at the time, I really respected what Crown did. It gave me a new appreciation for the show. And as a disclaimer, I wasn't offended or anything by their show prior to the new closer, but I definitely enjoyed it more knowing about the change they made and the reasoning for it 

10 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah and I understand why, it took a hyped ending and made it more mellow. 

But the way I saw it, there's a lot of things bigger than drum corps and especially with the current events at the time, I really respected what Crown did. It gave me a new appreciation for the show. And as a disclaimer, I wasn't offended or anything by their show prior to the new closer, but I definitely enjoyed it more knowing about the change they made and the reasoning for it 

yes - the mellow ending didn't really fit the flow of the show, especially so close to the ballad... and also about a 1/4 of the audience around me visibly rolled their eyes

other than that (and the too short ballad) 2016 Crown was phenomenally constructed & that corps was wicked talented

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 6:47 PM, George Dixon said:

yes - the mellow ending didn't really fit the flow of the show, especially so close to the ballad... and also about a 1/4 of the audience around me visibly rolled their eyes

other than that (and the too short ballad) 2016 Crown was phenomenally constructed & that corps was wicked talented

Yeah I never understood why Relentless was kinda skipped over and not Paid much attention. It has been one of my favorites. And I mean they executed that show. Crazy good.  

• Like 1

One of my favorite "new ending" stories is what Star did in 1991.  It wasn't finals week, but sometime in August they decided to change the closing sets.  They literally separated the corps into groups and told them to run around as much as they could as long as they hit their final set, which was the cross.  They did a million run throughs trying to get it right before they got it. 

• Like 2

Predicted 2019 new endings...

Bluecoats - Yellow Submarine

SCV - reverses course and pulls Metropolis 1927 out

Blue Devils - Jingle from the Motel 6 commercials with a ghostly voice saying "we'll leave the light on for you"

Cavaliers - no musical change...they will just play louder and blow up a couple of those barrels

BAC - Goliath wins by ripping the spine out of the guard member

Crown - black strobe lights

Blue Knights - they forget everything and perform nothing but scatter drill and space chords for the final minute

Blue Stars - brings out the fire extinguishers and a snow machine

Cadets - just kidding we have only been pretending to perform this show and win finals by pulling out West Side Story

Crossmen - decide they are not aggressive enough and go full Rammstein...amps explode and the first ten rows of the stands are evacuated

Phantom - Burns Will Pitts at the stake

Mandarins - they sacrifice a goat during the closing minute at finals

Edited by Sideways
grammar
  • Haha 3