Denton, TX - Thursday, July 18, 2019

58 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

My first live show of the season! Excited, though I wish Bloo was here.

I believe bloo might be working on their ending in Little Rock, Arkansas.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

So you expect them to NOT broadcast the show they are paying to sponsor at Belton? They are broadcasting SA correct?  Are people so freaking entitled now that they can't wait less than 48 hours to get what they want? Perspective people....perspective. 

We live in an age now when drum corps can be broadcast live and you can watch from the comfort of your couch. This is done for what I consider and VERY reasonable amount of money given what you are getting. And with anything if you hate them so much stop watching.

DCI Live was a thing before FLO came around, Almost every single show had a live broadcast, Multiple shows per day, many times a year. And guess what? They where DVR, so you could pause the show and rewind something if you wanted to and after the show, the recordings where saved and you could watch any show at any time.

Perhaps you weren't around then and didn't know what DCI was but this whole broadcasting thing is not new and has been done with better service and more value to the DCI paying customer.

So unless you are working for FLO and are defending them because of that, FLO doesn't deserve any slack for what they are putting out. It is a substandard product.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

Flo is the sponsor at the Belton show so it only makes sense that as the presenting sponsor they broadcast that show. Plus it is close to their home office and yes the corps outside the top of the heap deserve some love as well.

Gotcha. Good point. 

31 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

DCI Live was a thing before FLO came around, Almost every single show had a live broadcast, Multiple shows per day, many times a year. And guess what? They where DVR, so you could pause the show and rewind something if you wanted to and after the show, the recordings where saved and you could watch any show at any time.

Perhaps you weren't around then and didn't know what DCI was but this whole broadcasting thing is not new and has been done with better service and more value to the DCI paying customer.

So unless you are working for FLO and are defending them because of that, FLO doesn't deserve any slack for what they are putting out. It is a substandard product.

I didn't use the old service - but I recall there being tonnes of complaints about streaming problems with the old service -

the technology has improved a lot since those early days -

it all comes down to how much bandwidth the streaming service has access to at the site --

Before Flo, DCI used Britecove, another very large streaming service provided the live streams and the streaming was infinitely better. Before Britecove DCI did their own HD definition streaming which was better and before that it was ESPN doing the broadcasts which was also better. At one time DCI even archived past streams so you didn't have to go to youtube and hope you could find a post that had not been taken down. It's  just "Follow The Money" and DCI's greed imo.

1 hour ago, Glenn426 said:

Have you heard of this thing called licensing of copyrighted material that just MAY have put the end to old DCI live? Maybe you should look into it.....educate yourself.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spatzzz  Posted:

Have you heard of this thing called licensing of copyrighted material that just MAY have put the end to old DCI live? Maybe you should look into it.....educate yourself.

Reply:

I think everyone is aware that licensing of copyrighted material is involved at least, that's what we're told - that corps have to secure permission and pay royalty fees in order to play musical pieces in their show but, when DCI omits audio tracks from the DVD's that they produce. I don't buy the copyright argument.

I do not know of any other professional band, performer, or orchestra that does this when they produce a commercial product for release so I guess we just disagree.

3 hours ago, littlejaw said:

Headed to this show tonight and can’t decide if I’m going to wear a cavaliers shirt from before I was born or the original this is my rifle shirt!

Change at intermission.  I’ve done it before.  😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spatzzz said:

Not really pointing to you specifically in this case but there has been much whining and nashing of teeth earlier in this thread regarding FLO not streaming the Denton show.

I just asked.  Either show is fine with me.  In fact, I’m glad that I will see shows that I haven’t seen up to now. 

I’ve been to four shows and I’m going to Atlanta. After that, I think I’ll have seen just about everyone, if not everyone.

36 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Spatzzz  Posted:

Reply:

I think everyone is aware that licensing of copyrighted material is involved at least, that's what we're told - that corps have to secure permission and pay royalty fees in order to play musical pieces in their show but, when DCI omits audio tracks from the DVD's that they produce. I don't buy the copyright argument.

I do not know of any other professional band, performer, or orchestra that does this when they produce a commercial product for release so I guess we just disagree.

Just as an FYI: there's a button at the bottom of posts that lets you quote posts automatically, rather than what you've been doing. It's much more readable--you may find it useful.

As to what you say: other professional bands or performers are often performing their own works, so they have their own copyrights. Orchestras aren't broadcast that often, and even when they are, much of the work they're playing can be found in the public domain.

You may also recall that right before Fan Network went away about half the shows on it were taken down? Why? Because of copyright violations.

As for the comparisons to the old Fan Network broadcasts--they weren't nearly as good as y'all are making them out to be, and I had it for the year where they had things figured out the most (2014).