Denton, TX - Thursday, July 18, 2019

47 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

Spatzzz  Posted:

Have you heard of this thing called licensing of copyrighted material that just MAY have put the end to old DCI live? Maybe you should look into it.....educate yourself.

Reply:

I think everyone is aware that licensing of copyrighted material is involved at least, that's what we're told - that corps have to secure permission and pay royalty fees in order to play musical pieces in their show but, when DCI omits audio tracks from the DVD's that they produce. I don't buy the copyright argument.

I do not know of any other professional band, performer, or orchestra that does this when they produce a commercial product for release so I guess we just disagree.

DCI omits stuff on the DVD’s that they can’t secure the rights to, for whatever reason. There are different sets of rights for live performances, live streaming, pre-recorded audio, and pre-recorded video. Some stuff that’s not on the DVD’s is on the CD’s, and vice versa.

The corps themselves get the rights to perform the music live, then leave it to DCI to secure the audio/video recording rights. Back in the day, DCI just ignored the law and shipped everything. We had a good run with that but now we have copyright trolls on the case and everything has so be done officially.

It sucks and the current laws are ridiculous, but that’s the reality of the situation right now. That’s why Flo will sometimes put up full runs with video but no audio.

Edited by jeffmolnar

1 hour ago, Rich Cline said:

Spatzzz  Posted:

Have you heard of this thing called licensing of copyrighted material that just MAY have put the end to old DCI live? Maybe you should look into it.....educate yourself.

Reply:

I think everyone is aware that licensing of copyrighted material is involved at least, that's what we're told - that corps have to secure permission and pay royalty fees in order to play musical pieces in their show but, when DCI omits audio tracks from the DVD's that they produce. I don't buy the copyright argument.

I do not know of any other professional band, performer, or orchestra that does this when they produce a commercial product for release so I guess we just disagree.

Then you don't understand how licensing works. There are different types of licensing of copyrighted materials. Live performance vs. recording and distribution rights are VERY different and the cost for recording and distribution rights is much, much higher. Much higher...did I say they were much higher? Again, do a little research on copyrights and I think you will understand better why things are the way they are.

15 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

DCI omits stuff on the DVD’s that they can’t secure the rights to, for whatever reason. There are different sets of rights for live performances, live streaming, pre-recorded audio, and pre-recorded video. Some stuff that’s not on the DVD’s is on the CD’s, and vice versa.

The corps themselves get the rights to perform the music live, then leave it to DCI to secure the audio/video recording rights. Back in the day, DCI just ignored the law and shipped everything. We had a good run with that but now we have copyright trolls on the case and everything has so be done officially.

It sucks and the current laws are ridiculous, but that’s the reality of the situation right now. That’s why Flo will sometimes put up full runs with video but no audio.

OK, I can accept this explanation which is a more detailed explanation that I had previously heard and we're stuck with FLO till DCI partners with the next streaming service.  I just wish  I didn't have to watch any more "Rocket Mortgage" ads.

17 minutes ago, Rich Cline said:

OK, I can accept this explanation which is a more detailed explanation that I had previously heard and we're stuck with FLO till DCI partners with the next streaming service.  I just wish  I didn't have to watch any more "Rocket Mortgage" ads.

Like Ricky Fowler has trouble getting a mortgage. Pfffttt. 

I do enjoy the ScoJo ads. He's such a cool guy. 

So now back to the topic of Denton.  Not licensing, not Flo, not griping about streaming.  It's a big show.  Talk about that.  Start a separate thread for Flo complaints.  Maybe also look at the Wildlife in the DCP thread and see where you fall in:  Are you  The Know It All?  ThreadEnder perhaps? Maybe the Hijacker?  Let's try for Topic Follower.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Does anybody know what the parking situation will be at the stadium tonight? It looks like there are a couple of small lots near the stadium, but I’m thinking those will be reserved for the corps. Should we just plan on parking on the other side of the interstate and walking across the pedestrian bridge?

posted from the DrumScorps app

13 minutes ago, tlewis10060 said:

Does anybody know what the parking situation will be at the stadium tonight? It looks like there are a couple of small lots near the stadium, but I’m thinking those will be reserved for the corps. Should we just plan on parking on the other side of the interstate and walking across the pedestrian bridge?

posted from the DrumScorps app

Paid parking will be available in the Victory Hall parking lot, located on visitor's side of the stadium. Unfortunately the Fout's Field parking lot across the highway near the pedestrian bridge is closed for construction. First time at this new venue, parking will be dicey! 

3 hours ago, Rich Cline said:

Before Flo, DCI used Britecove, another very large streaming service provided the live streams and the streaming was infinitely better. Before Britecove DCI did their own HD definition streaming which was better and before that it was ESPN doing the broadcasts which was also better. At one time DCI even archived past streams so you didn't have to go to youtube and hope you could find a post that had not been taken down. It's  just "Follow The Money" and DCI's greed imo.

DCI Live had many advantages over Flo, the most significant being the archives, but archiving the shows ended up being problematic when it came to licensing, especially the older shows. Having shows available whenever also ran into licensing issues.  This is why if you do not have the DVD’s of the past, you will not get them once they sell out. The once and done broadcast was costly for DCI, but where Flo Marching already had the equipment, and the two worked out an agreement. 

I have no idea whether Flo Marching is more lucrative for DCI or not, but licensing, not greed is the reason we no longer have DCI Live.

• Thanks 1

Looks like an Uber ride from the hotel. Anyone else stauing at the Hampton Inn on Centre place that want to coordinate an Uber?

Edited by Old Corps Guy