Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

29 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

It's a 5 year old 65 inch TV.  Yes, I am satisfied, and for many different reasons. Flo doesn't send out a 4K signal so I don't expect that . . . but I'm ready. I also buy the Blu Rays.

It's not the resolution that bothers me, just the extremely low quality of the stream. The blocking around each marching member isn't due to low resolution. It's due to Flo compressing the hell out of their video feed. You straight up can't tell what's going on in high cam most of the time.

I have no idea how so many people have "playback issues" with these tiny, low quality streams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

It's not the resolution that bothers me, just the extremely low quality of the stream. The blocking around each marching member isn't due to low resolution. It's due to Flo compressing the hell out of their video feed. You straight up can't tell what's going on in high cam most of the time.

I have no idea how so many people have "playback issues" with these tiny, low quality streams.

I agree about High Cam. I find it awful. Can hardly determine what corps it is. But, I still wouldn’t choose High Cam if it was perfectly clear. I’m more interested in the close-ups, the little details, the human emotions, etc. I want to see the faces of these amazing young performers, particularly when they’ve nailed their solo. Or when they glow during appreciative audience reactions. Thus, why I  enjoy viewing DCI better on Flo than actually being there in person, sitting in one place 50 yards away from the human component.

Also because I’m old and no longer have patience with crowds and other annoyances!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

doing a quick search, and you can look at engineering.flosports.tv, they are built on AWS (Amazon Web Services) CDN and hosting stack, so this is streaming on cloud. THe only think i can think of (and i am a former cloud eng) is that the network these devices are using are not capable of delivering HD (720 or 1080) streaming. i.e. not gigabit ethernet from the device to the ISP to AWS. they may have to compress hard to allow for smoother playback due to infrastructure issues. big reason why we dont get the Katy show, Broken Arrow, Denton, et. al. 

This is the best we are going to get, it's better than nothing, which is what we could have. Flo is getting better, as they grow and their infrastructure investment increases. At the end of the day, you are limited as the infrastructure you are plugging into...like putting 87 octane in a Lambo

• Thanks 2

25k-30k viewers? That's nothing. Look at what YouTube gets from videos of kids playing with toys or someone unboxing a new camera. The economics just aren't there.

• Like 2

Just now, Tony Flores said:

doing a quick search, and you can look at engineering.flosports.tv, they are built on AWS (Amazon Web Services) CDN and hosting stack, so this is streaming on cloud. THe only think i can think of (and i am a former cloud eng) is that the network these devices are using are not capable of delivering HD (720 or 1080) streaming. i.e. not gigabit ethernet from the device to the ISP to AWS. they may have to compress hard to allow for smoother playback due to infrastructure issues. big reason why we dont get the Katy show, Broken Arrow, Denton, et. al. 

This is the best we are going to get, it's better than nothing, which is what we could have. Flo is getting better, as they grow and their infrastructure investment increases. At the end of the day, you are limited as the infrastructure you are plugging into...like putting 87 octane in a Lambo

I would be fine with this if they at least gave us the good quality when they had the upstream available. There's no variance in quality from Flo, it's always just 720p with the same low bitrate. If they doubled the bitrate for regionals or something then yeah, I'd be fine with that.

I don't think that's the problem though. From what I can tell, Flo uses the same low quality compression for all of their live sports coverage. These are blanket settings that don't change for each venue, and haven't changed since at all in the 4 years I've been watching Flo. People are doing higher quality streams from their cellphones using Periscope. It's well past time for Flo to pump that bitrate up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Give me the option, let me chose what I want to pay

Or give DCI's Marketing dept a swift kick in the nuts and welcome them to the 21st Century of Streaming platform and revenue generation. There are so many ways that DCI can monetize the activity so that the exposure for Paying Vendors and sponsors is ramped up that this group of Dino's are not aware of or exposed to. That would keep the cost for us the paying customer at similar levels.

This is the Apex of the Marching Arts the technology is there for this to generate much more money than it currently is.

I’m sure DCI is just busting out the gills in ft paid marketing staff. 

19 hours ago, MGCpimpOtimp said:

Something I’ve not seen mentioned re sync licenses: TIME! The license Flo needs for DVR is the same DCI needs for the Blue Rays. DCI finals is in August, but I’d assume they start working on it as soon as the corps submit their material. DCI doesn’t announce until November at the EARLIEST the stuff they can’t get the rights to. It’s a long and complicated process for one tune, let alone 5-10 per corps times up to what, 30+ corps?

Something I have not seen mentioned here - why is that not an issue with a live webcast?

22 hours ago, Algernon said:

Nothing like a passive/aggressive rant by a Canadian with no clue, eh?

Nothing like an aggressive post calling someone out for being Canadian, am I right? 'Merica at it's finest!