Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Something I have not seen mentioned here - why is that not an issue with a live webcast?

Live is a different set of rights. It’s when the content is on-demand that things get hairy. I assume because of legacy legislation related stuff like FM radio, but I’m just guessing.

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I don't think you've ever used The Fan Network in your life if you actually believe everything you just typed

I have no idea what kind of problems people had with the live streaming before Flo but all I can tell you is i did the pay per view thing for certain shows with the previous carrier  for years and the live streaming product/service was nearly flawless.

Flos service is aweful!

Edited by Triple Forte

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

We're arguing past each other. I don't dispute a single thing you write here.

But just because there's a good reason that something sucks, doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

what else ya gonna do? they're the only player. It's not like DCi generates enough revenue for other players to be interested in stepping up to the plate without a big price jump to the consumer. And you know how well that'll go over. Instead of quality everyone will #### and moan about price...and you know they will. It's drum corps. we have to have something to #### and moan about

Edited by Jeff Ream

2 hours ago, combia1 said:

I don't think DCI ignored the rules. There was a lot of gray area in the law (the internet, online streaming, and being able to watch archived performances online and not via physical media did not exist when the copyright rules were created.) DCI, BOA, and WGI interpreted the laws one way for a many years, and eventually a different legal opinion emerged. BOA, DCI, and WGI did not have the legal resources to take their case to court, so a settlement agreement was reached.

when i say years, i am going back to 1972.

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

Curious about what uplink is used in this type of event -- 

Satellite?

Wifi?

Cellular data hot spot?

Ethernet?

Complaints about streaming quality are all related to the amount of network bandwidth at the show site --

A 4K stream requires around 24Mbps, 1080p, roughly 6Mbps, 720p about 4Mbps. Those numbers are on the high side assuming a higher frame rate. 4G LTE networks can give you over 5Mbps upload speeds. I would doubt that they're using satellite uploads as that's really expensive. I watched a behind the scenes video of their coverage of a FloSports cross country event and saw no indication of satellite equipment. Most likely a leased line and possibly cellular backup. I've been behind the scenes at NFL events and they have a huge production going on, multiple semis, fiber lines run all over the place, wireless frequencies controlled in stadium, etc. No satellite uplink though, the stadiums are equipped with high speed, redundant fiber optic lines. But, when 5G finally arrives, maybe they'll be able to better delivery of a higher bitrate stream. Then again, maybe the limitation is on the content delivery network and the associated costs for higher bitrate streams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They're using AOL dial up via a 2400 baud modem.  Circa 1990. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

They're using AOL dial up via a 2400 baud modem.  Circa 1990. 

compuserv come on man. 

• Haha 1

Just now, cixelsyd said:

leonardo dicaprio GIF

There's something super duper appropriate than the GIF doesn't load for this.

The only way it'd be better if the thing loaded slowly, line by line. then broke half way through loading.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, E3D said:

compuserv come on man. 

I was tempted to go with EarthLink or even eWorld but went with the more familiar one as it'd trigger the dial up and connecting sounds in everyone's head.