Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

I came to this thread a little late, but I will add one more tidbit of information to the proverbial fire.  The recently deceased AAFL was broadcast on CBS, CBS Sports, TBS, The NFL Network, and the B/R Live app.  There viewership numbers were significantly better than anything DCI, BOA, or WGI could ever hope to achieve, even beating out several concurrent NBA and NHL broadcasts.  And they still had to pay the networks for the air time.  Only the absolute top, long established sports leagues/events get paid big bucks by the networks.

9 minutes ago, E3D said:

Yeah there are student prices for most software now, for design software, animation etc. You can even get a large offering of software for free if you are a student. I believe Maya / and many autodesk / adobe products will offer discounted and free versions. But to read it on here there is nothing that could be done. 

Would be interesting to see the response (if any) for someone to contact the “license police” and suggest this. But as an IT guy wonder how much of tech companies doing this is good public relations and how much is to hook you into using their product so you can pay full price when you are out of school.

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would be interesting to see the response (if any) for someone to contact the “license police” and suggest this. But as an IT guy wonder how much of tech companies doing this is good public relations and how much is to hook you into using their product so you can pay full price when you are out of school.

It is very easy to trick these services into having a perpetual student discount assuming your school lets you keep your email after graduation or by just having a family member who is in school 

43 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It is very easy to trick these services into having a perpetual student discount assuming your school lets you keep your email after graduation or by just having a family member who is in school 

Would be interesting to read the wording of the contract regarding “student” status.... Especially any penalty portion for being less than honest. Govt contracts with software companies can get na$ty if it is used beyond end of license period.

If anyone wants to lie to save some bucks and gets caught... got no pity for them

Edited by JimF-LowBari

22 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

F-ing lawyers man,....

These are mainly Non-Profit Youth organizations that provide a service to the Youth of the world to give them an avenue to perform and have life-changing experiences. As I stated earlier I would find it hard for a musician or arranger to come directly at DCI and attack them for not paying minuscule licensing fees. They are artist and want their work to be spread far and wide. Especially in this medium where the great majority of the consumption of the medium is done by Students, future Music Educators and current music educators.

To say it is a Theft would be an unfair characterization. 

I say there should be special Education Licenses that would allow for the full rights of use of the music under time limitations, so that People who look at DCI and the marching arts activity as a whole and think that its Thievery can find something else to do with their time. 

Point: streaming and re-broadcast of DCI shows isn't really educational, is it? The corps themselves are educational--watching them is not, unless you're in high school band.

Permission to arrange and synchronize with a visual, yes. Licenses to record that for rebroadcast, etc...not so much.

17 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Would be interesting to read the wording of the contract regarding “student” status.... Especially any penalty portion for being less than honest. Govt contracts with software companies can get na$ty if it is used beyond end of license period.

If anyone wants to lie to save some bucks and gets caught... got no pity for them

They know it happens and don't really care. It's better than piracy.

In two years, we'll have mainstream 5G networks, phones will be even better than the 4K capabilities we currently have, and the livestreaming capabilities from Facebook and others will be even better. Unless they confiscate cell phones at the gate, we'll just watch someone's live stream and Facebook et al have blanket licensing agreements for the content that is broadcast.

27 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

They know it happens and don't really care. It's better than piracy.

Eh people can justify it anyway they want.. it’s their life

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Eh justify it anyway you want.. it’s your life

Thank you holier than thou. I personally don’t do it, but I’m telling you what the companies are thinking. 

6 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Thank you holier than thou. I personally don’t do it, but I’m telling you what the companies are thinking. 

My bad... I meant that as a general response not directed to you personally... post has been fixed

• Like 1