Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

15 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I’m sorry but this is just BS. Only part of the experience is “the last mile” of a feed. Literally everything else is in fact in the hands and pocketbook of the initiator. The bit depth and server capacity of the sender is what determines quality and consistency. FLO in fact does not provide professional levels of either.

This!

If found the quality of streams earlier in the season to be very good. But as the shows got larger, and the online audience increased at the end of the season, the quality got progressively worse. Semi-Finals and Finals feeds were almost unwatchable. I highly doubt everyone's individual internet connections or ISPs changed anything over the past few weeks on "the last mile." These problems are 100% with Flo and the equipment and capacity at the source.

Any idea how many were watching. IOW how many using the site. Wondering as have watched Division II (my alma mater) and Division III (sisters) football playoffs without any trouble. Div III school not tech savvy and stadium looks like a HS one.

Even ran two games at once when both playing at same time. One on laptop to tv and other on tablet... again no problems....

On 7/18/2019 at 2:44 PM, Jeff Ream said:

actually Flo has the control, it's their platform. And if you want dvr etc, be prepared to pay at least triple what you are now to cover the costs...and that's provided Flo/DCI can get the rights to do any type of recorded replay/delay. 

DCI cares. DCI is also not made of unlimited money. to live stream thats one fee. it's another fee for recorded playback/dvr. Plus the other fees for various things. Blaming DCI is honestly not knowing the laws or caring and just looking for a scapegoat, cause if they did decide to pay for all that, everyone would complain about how much they had to pay to get it.

DCI isn't getting rich off of the streaming rights from Flo.

I dont think you are looking at triple the cost, you can watch almost any other event on flosports after the event is over, just not flomarching.  so I dont think it would cost extra for them to do it on flomarching.

Just now, combia1 said:

This!

If found the quality of streams earlier in the season to be very good. But as the shows got larger, and the online audience increased at the end of the season, the quality got progressively worse. Semi-Finals and Finals feeds were almost unwatchable. I highly doubt everyone's individual internet connections or ISPs changed anything over the past few weeks on "the last mile." These problems are 100% with Flo and the equipment and capacity at the source.

I used to work for Rivals.com, I’m not a novice. Our network worked fine 364 days a year and crashed on National Signing Day. It was 100% our fault. We did not have the server capacity or quality to maintain the service with that many people randomly accessing the network. It’s exactly the same thing with FLO, plus the fact that their app also cannot manage throughput.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

I used to work for Rivals.com, I’m not a novice. Our network worked fine 364 days a year and crashed on National Signing Day. It was 100% our fault. We did not have the server capacity or quality to maintain the service with that many people randomly accessing the network. It’s exactly the same thing with FLO, plus the fact that their app also cannot manage throughput.

Reminds me of a Internet provider I had in the past. Worked great at night and weekends but during weekdays sucked. Found out their main customer base was business so Home use was crap during business hours. 

Kicker was help desk would have you switch router settings to “solve” the problem. There were two ways to set that they walked you thru so you just went back and forth. And while you were killing time doing this they must have thrown some resources your way and ta-da the “router” problem is solved. Until next time when you were told to go back to the other settings 

So what were the problems people hit last night.

ps blame me as last night was the only time I had flo on for more than a few minutes (more resources being used) 😝

• Haha 1

Telltale sign was when Phantom was great, and then every progressive show got worse. By the time we got to Bluecoats the app started crashing every 30 seconds, the screen had the spinning wheel of death with a frozen image, and even a random oops message on a black screen. Basically it was the internet version of a ten car pileup during rush hour.

30 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I’m sorry but this is just BS. Only part of the experience is “the last mile” of a feed. Literally everything else is in fact in the hands and pocketbook of the initiator. The bit depth and server capacity of the sender is what determines quality and consistency. FLO in fact does not provide professional levels of either.

After an occasional problem last year, I checked the FloSports menu and found they were broadcasting another live event at the same time slot. Seems to me, that practice can’t help quality. Don’t know if true last night.

Flo needs to be better prepared. Pure and simple. Shameful for this to happen.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Telltale sign was when Phantom was great, and then every progressive show got worse. By the time we got to Bluecoats the app started crashing every 30 seconds, the screen had the spinning wheel of death with a frozen image, and even a random oops message on a black screen. Basically it was the internet version of a ten car pileup during rush hour.

Hmmm just as Bluecoats came on was when I went to bed. Nothing against them or BD I’m at the age when you listen to your body and mine said go to bed. That was the second freeze and had helluva time getting off full screen so I could sign off. Gave up on that and couldn’t even kill the screen or even get to task manager to kill that way. Couldn’t tell what caused it but did have updates to load on shutdown

On 7/19/2019 at 12:49 AM, Jeff Ream said:

quick....how many college football games show the bands anymore?

Why? licensing rights

No, the big boys have licensing rights covered. They don’t show the band because of two reasons : 1) relatively nobody cares and 2) it would cut into advertiser revenue. 

• Like 2