Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

7 hours ago, HouserCD said:

I contacted DCI about the ongoing issues with FloMarching after DCI Memphis and received the following response.

”We do not believe that this particular issue is systemic.  Live internet broadcasts travel over networks that are outside of a broadcasters control, and these routes may or may not experience issues that could result in occasional interruptions.  We apologize on behalf of FloMarching for any downtime you may have experienced.”

There has to be some way we can improve on this.  I would even be willing to pay more if it meant having a consistent stream if that is possible. 

they are getting hammered on their facebook page, and rightfully so. I've given up contacting their support, it's the same ######## answers every time.

59 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Telltale sign was when Phantom was great, and then every progressive show got worse. By the time we got to Bluecoats the app started crashing every 30 seconds, the screen had the spinning wheel of death with a frozen image, and even a random oops message on a black screen. Basically it was the internet version of a ten car pileup during rush hour.

Phantom was the worst during the show...but several error "something went wrong reload" screens popped up during the show, and during a corps performance.

When 5G hits maturity we’ll just be able to find a Facebook, Instagram or YouTube live stream. Then we’ll complain that Becky can’t hold her phone steady. 

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So what were the problems people hit last night.

ps blame me as last night was the only time I had flo on for more than a few minutes (more resources being used) 😝

IMG-2280.jpg

Got this message at least 10 times during BD's performance alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

two_atl_5d0.png

"Got to blame it on something". "Blame it on the Rain"?????

But I did not see any Hurricane feeder "bands" causing any issues with their coverage. 

Time to come up with another excuse. 

• Haha 1

If what happened last night was "unexpected," someone at middle to upper level employ needs to be shown the door. I have no problem with Flo using mostly young people beginning broadcast technician/on air careers and making mistakes. We've all been there.  But, a total lack of awareness on the part of someone higher up the pay scale is what caused something like this to occur how it did, and when it did.

A good manager anticipates problems that "could happen" and insulates the team with better precautionary moves well before "did happen" shows its face.

There only issues I saw were during Regiment, I had to reload the Fire TV app 2x... Other than that, it was rock solid until finale... Then I switched to youtube. Seems they have real issues with application delivery to the web and some app platforms (and I hate the Roku platform, crappy code)

The important thing to understand is that the stream you're watching isn't a direct pipe from Flo to your home.  It runs through a multitude of different networks & providers through various peering agreements.  Depending on your ISP, it could be a relatively short/direct path... or it could be a completely roundabout path with many hops.  At any point on that path, a slowdown can occur that would effect your streaming experience.  That's in part why some end users have flawless streaming experiences, while others have freezes every show.

Large streaming providers like Netflix & Youtube typically work with ISPs (or pay) to ensure that their streams have a pathway of least resistance with more than adequate bandwidth.  They also have fall backs in place that allow them to re-route around problems & slowdowns.  While Flo as a streaming provider is growing in size with the addition of more sports coverage, it's definitely not in the same class as those other streaming providers at this point.  That's not saying that they shouldn't be working proactively to provide a better streaming experience, but it is acknowledging the fact that some factors may not be in their immediate control.

isp-peering-explanation-diagram.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

If what happened last night was "unexpected," someone at middle to upper level employ needs to be shown the door. I have no problem with Flo using mostly young people beginning broadcast technician/on air careers and making mistakes. We've all been there.  But, a total lack of awareness on the part of someone higher up the pay scale is what caused something like this to occur how it did, and when it did.

A good manager anticipates problems that "could happen" and insulates the team with better precautionary moves well before "did happen" shows its face.

Flo will just blame the users Fred. that's standard operating procedure

• Like 1