Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

10 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

The important thing to understand is that the stream you're watching isn't a direct pipe from Flo to your home.  It runs through a multitude of different networks & providers through various peering agreements.  Depending on your ISP, it could be a relatively short/direct path... or it could be a completely roundabout path with many hops.  At any point on that path, a slowdown can occur that would effect your streaming experience.  That's in part why some end users have flawless streaming experiences, while others have freezes every show.

Large streaming providers like Netflix & Youtube typically work with ISPs (or pay) to ensure that their streams have a pathway of least resistance with more than adequate bandwidth.  They also have fall backs in place that allow them to re-route around problems & slowdowns.  While Flo as a streaming provider is growing in size with the addition of more sports coverage, it's definitely not in the same class as those other streaming providers at this point.  That's not saying that they shouldn't be working proactively to provide a better streaming experience, but it is acknowledging the fact that some factors may not be in their immediate control.

isp-peering-explanation-diagram.png

well it happened to more than enough people in enough geographic areas that something on their end could have delivered it better.

13 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

The important thing to understand is that the stream you're watching isn't a direct pipe from Flo to your home.  It runs through a multitude of different networks & providers through various peering agreements.  Depending on your ISP, it could be a relatively short/direct path... or it could be a completely roundabout path with many hops.  At any point on that path, a slowdown can occur that would effect your streaming experience.  That's in part why some end users have flawless streaming experiences, while others have freezes every show.

Large streaming providers like Netflix & Youtube typically work with ISPs (or pay) to ensure that their streams have a pathway of least resistance with more than adequate bandwidth.  They also have fall backs in place that allow them to re-route around problems & slowdowns.  While Flo as a streaming provider is growing in size with the addition of more sports coverage, it's definitely not in the same class as those other streaming providers at this point.  That's not saying that they shouldn't be working proactively to provide a better streaming experience, but it is acknowledging the fact that some factors may not be in their immediate control.

If they don’t have the resources to provide scalable streaming on finals night, then they have no business bidding on the streaming rights. That said, DCI leadership is ultimately responsible for the quality of THEIR product. If they don’t or can’t demand a better service then they are going to get what FLO is willing to pay to provide.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, rjohn76 said:

If you can’t deliver the product, then don’t take people’s money for it. I doubt they would be sympathetic if I was unable to pay due to “factors” out of my control. Business is business.

What sucks is, the very people who could fund their technological expansion are the ones they just ###### off. None of us are going to pay for 11 more months of that garbage. The sad thing is, they have done a great job on other content. Their news shows and documentaries are quite compelling and well produced. The live event stuff is just not good enough in the age of always-on live streaming like Netflix, Amazon and YouTube. 

DCI might be better served by just doing their own pay YouTube channel.

It wasn’t that bad for me yesterday, here on the west coast.  

I watch via their website on my iPad and have a hdmi connector to the tv.

I had to hit reload about three times last night, sadly once was during the bd show.  

But overall the transmission was good.

2 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

The issues could be a number is factors... Could be an issue at the show site with compressing the source... upload issue with the ISP/infrastructure at LOS... Configuration of Amazon Web Services CDN delivery (Flo uses AWS)...ISP issues on the user end. We will never know. I had to reload the app a could times during Phantom, annoying? Yes? But it's better than nothing. However DCI must be made aware of these issues so the proper discussions can be made. DCI can't afford engineers to develop a portal or steam using a robust delivery provider like YouTube, etc. We are not the only people that have had this Flo issue, just ask FC Cincinnati and DC United fans. 

9 hours ago, Sasha1 said:

It wasn’t that bad for me yesterday, here on the west coast.  

I watch via their website on my iPad and have a hdmi connector to the tv.

I had to hit reload about three times last night, sadly once was during the bd show.  

But overall the transmission was good.

shouldn't have to refresh at all. I watched all 25 Friday, not one refresh

17 hours ago, rjohn76 said:

My discount HDTV never locks in the middle of a program, requiring me to manually refresh the feed.  Why should a video feed to a computer (a far smarter device) be vulnerable to such behavior?

It's really simple.  Go in expecting that Flo will give you low quality service and you won't be disappointed. They know they have a captive audience and they're the only game in town. Not much motivation to produce a quality product.

28 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

My discount HDTV never locks in the middle of a program, requiring me to manually refresh the feed.  Why should a video feed to a computer (a far smarter device) be vulnerable to such behavior?

If the devices are sitting next to each other (using same path and resources) you would have a point. I went to bed before last 2 Corps so missed the worst. Had to go fiber optic few years back due to crappy phone lines and appears I had less problems than some. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari