Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

People, over the years, tend to accumulate things on their computer that they don't even realize are there. As an example, I'd have this issue where the translucent tab at the top of a PDF document or the playback controls of an online video would pop up and go away over and over again. 

After doing research for a while, I found out that of all things, my computer app for Dish Anywhere was causing the issue! It would run in the background (so it wasn't immediately visible in the task manager) whenever the computer was started up and cause the issue for whatever reason. The simple fix was to prevent the program from starting up at the beginning and it was fine. 

I'm not a big expert on these things other than the small little hobbies I have but from my experience with streaming, it is delivered in the same way to all platforms. So if it is coming out perfect on even one computer, it is not Flo's problem

Now this I don't buy,

If Netflix or Youtube took that attitude they would not make the huge investments they make to ensure that even people with slow internet connection have a good time using their service.

People shouldn't have to use the FLO APP to get good service from them, or they should discontinue the Internet browser access and only offer streams on the app. If that was the case they might want to expand the app to the Google Play store so that everyone has a chance to enjoy the good streams.

The lucky people that have good streams using the internet browser shouldn't have to have a top of line Internet connection speed to enjoy a solid stream.

They should try and make the service work for all of their customers as best they can, and until it does it should be a concern of their seeing as how they are a Digital Media Provider.

And this, we are lucky to have FLO is BS, We had other options before FLO, there are other options now where DCI could manage their own media as they where doing right before FLO came on board. DCI now knows what they can and cant stream using the current licenses acquired, they just seemingly wanted to make it someone else responsibility by selling the streaming rights to FLO and let them worry about the Licenses.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Now this I don't buy,

If Netflix or Youtube took that attitude they would not make the huge investments they make to ensure that even people with slow internet connection have a good time using their service.

People shouldn't have to use the FLO APP to get good service from them, or they should discontinue the Internet browser access and only offer streams on the app. If that was the case they might want to expand the app to the Google Play store so that everyone has a chance to enjoy the good streams.

The lucky people that have good streams using the internet browser shouldn't have to have a top of line Internet connection speed to enjoy a solid stream.

They should try and make the service work for all of their customers as best they can, and until it does it should be a concern of their seeing as how they are a Digital Media Provider.

And this, we are lucky to have FLO is BS, We had other options before FLO, there are other options now where DCI could manage their own media as they where doing right before FLO came on board. DCI now knows what they can and cant stream using the current licenses acquired, they just seemingly wanted to make it someone else responsibility by selling the streaming rights to FLO and let them worry about the Licenses.

Ah well you've just helped make my original point I made in this thread: our expectations are too high. 

You just compared Flo to media giants like Netflix and Google (owns YouTube). Sure, Flo does have other ventures that are more popular than Flo Marching, but Flo's overall footprint is miniscule compared to those two companies. It doesn't even compare. They have way more resources to allocate to serve the needs of customers with poor internet quality. 

Please go ahead and show me how DCI can pull together their own streaming service to provide streams at a higher quality level than Flo. I'll wait. 

• Thanks 1

I don't have top of the line internet, just regular 200 meg spectrum cable. Early in the season (before I found out about the fire TV app), I was watching Flo marching through silk web browser on the fire TV stick. So the path of the stream was cable>modem>mesh router base>mesh wifi satellite>fire TV stick>silk browser>flomarching web site. The bandwidth in the room where that TV is was getting around 20 meg down. The most difficult part of getting to watch an event on Flo was trying to log in using the fire TV remote (no keyboard), and convincing the silk browser I wanted full screen mode. But once I got the stream going how I wanted it, it was more than adequate.

Just another data point.

I have no connection to flosports. While I do wish for perfection on their part, I expect excellence (rather than perfection). Your wishes and expectations may vary, and that's...ok.

Edited by Precious Roy
Fixed typo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Ah well you've just helped make my original point I made in this thread: our expectations are too high. 

You just compared Flo to media giants like Netflix and Google (owns YouTube). Sure, Flo does have other ventures that are more popular than Flo Marching, but Flo's overall footprint is miniscule compared to those two companies. It doesn't even compare. They have way more resources to allocate to serve the needs of customers with poor internet quality. 

Please go ahead and show me how DCI can pull together their own streaming service to provide streams at a higher quality level than Flo. I'll wait. 

Haven’t been following but understand Netflix has been taking a beating recently. Or as NY Daily News called it “Nyetflix “. 

IMO comes down to the amount of money coming in to offset the cost of broadcast. And how many people actually buy into this. But... how many bells and whistles does Flo put into the broadcasts with multi/high cam etc. Few years back followed Div II and Div III football playoffs as family members are alumni. Basic one camera shot with no rewind option coming from at least one stadium that ain’t that tech heavy. No problem during the 3 or 4 games we saw. And watched two games at same time using laptop and tablet with no issues so ?????

Edited by JimF-LowBari

for the scale of the activity and the size of their subscriber base I think they are doing pretty well

my only suggestion would be picking some different contest from time to time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

My gripe is that they are pouring their few existing resources into things like Lot coverage, BTS interviews with Designers, etc.., and the one thing that we are paying for is the coverage of the field shows. All of the others things can be done away with, and we would all still pay the same for the service. All of which outisde of their IG Feed, I can honestly say I haven't watched one single Add-On content.

And DCI was doing their own thing before FLO came along. I can remember if the shows from the year where saved in an On Demand format but it was a good service. Because they had a live DVR Service, you could simply pause the live show for 30 seconds and not deal with any buffering issues even on the slowest of connections.

Now I think DCI has learned over the past couple of years from FLO of what they can and cant broadcast and what licenses they have to secure to broadcast. DCI is already securing licenses on their own to be able to distribute and sell the BLurays, So would just need to hire a digital live streaming broadcasting company or simply go back to neulion and DCI could have its own platform again. https://www.neulion.com/ Reading through their website and having an additional 3 years of technology advancements I see no reason why it wouldnt work at a better quality than FLO is putting out.

The big difference I think is money, Does anyone know if FLO has paid DCI to have the broadcasting rights of DCI's content? In the big sports leagues the NBA, NFL for example The broadcasting companies pay huge amounts of money to the NFL , NBA to have the rights to broadcast their games. I would assume FLO is taking the model that they are Willing to Pay DCI for the rights but FLo and only FLO have the rights to broadcast live show events. Neulion's model appears to be that they are paid by DCI for DCI to use their services to export out the content.

Maybe DCI got more money from FLO up front in the multi year deal, than they did charging for the service on their own and paying Neulion for the use of their service. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

My gripe is that they are pouring their few existing resources into things like Lot coverage, BTS interviews with Designers, etc.., and the one thing that we are paying for is the coverage of the field shows. All of the others things can be done away with, and we would all still pay the same for the service. All of which outisde of their IG Feed, I can honestly say I haven't watched one single Add-On content.

And DCI was doing their own thing before FLO came along. I can remember if the shows from the year where saved in an On Demand format but it was a good service. Because they had a live DVR Service, you could simply pause the live show for 30 seconds and not deal with any buffering issues even on the slowest of connections.

Now I think DCI has learned over the past couple of years from FLO of what they can and cant broadcast and what licenses they have to secure to broadcast. DCI is already securing licenses on their own to be able to distribute and sell the BLurays, So would just need to hire a digital live streaming broadcasting company or simply go back to neulion and DCI could have its own platform again. https://www.neulion.com/ Reading through their website and having an additional 3 years of technology advancements I see no reason why it wouldnt work at a better quality than FLO is putting out.

The big difference I think is money, Does anyone know if FLO has paid DCI to have the broadcasting rights of DCI's content? In the big sports leagues the NBA, NFL for example The broadcasting companies pay huge amounts of money to the NFL , NBA to have the rights to broadcast their games. I would assume FLO is taking the model that they are Willing to Pay DCI for the rights but FLo and only FLO have the rights to broadcast live show events. Neulion's model appears to be that they are paid by DCI for DCI to use their services to export out the content.

Maybe DCI got more money from FLO up front in the multi year deal, than they did charging for the service on their own and paying Neulion for the use of their service. 

1) We will never have anything like the fan network ever again. Rights were not being paid and those violations cost DCI 6 figures ($489k per the 2017 IRS 990). 

2) DCI does not have the money to pay Neulion to stream (net revenue in 2017 was -$37k), they are still subject to the network speed at each individual venue. The rights DCI acquired to release the DVD's are through the same org as the rights acquired for live streaming, Tresona. Neulion uses Amazon Web Services as does FloSports. Again it is all about the source network, does the source/venue network have gigabit ethernet with 100Mbps upload? 

3) Flo doesnt pay DCI...DCI pays Flo. It was the same way when DCI was on ESPN2. According to the 2017 990 forms, DCI paid nearly 500k for Big Loud LIve and FloSports...and took in a bet of 400k, however i presume most, if not all, of that was from the BLL show.

4) again apples to oranges, the big leagues have billions revenue from networks who sell billions in advertisements...flosports doesn't have that kind of balance sheet, they are growing but dont have nearly the revenue of an ESPN, Fox Sports, Fox TV, etc. 

At the end of the day, its all about money to run a streaming service...DCI runs at a loss...as of the 2017 tax forms a loss of 37k with only about 916k of operating cash on hand. They cant afford to run a "fan network" with the cash on hand they have. 

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I just want it to stop switching camera feeds 

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

for the scale of the activity and the size of their subscriber base I think they are doing pretty well

my only suggestion would be picking some different contest from time to time

Some of that may be venue related... like broken arrow. One of the reasons DCA doesn’t use Flo any longer is the stadium for finals has technological challenges for Flo to provide a good feed 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Some of that may be venue related... like broken arrow. One of the reasons DCA doesn’t use Flo any longer is the stadium for finals has technological challenges for Flo to provide a good feed 

That #### coffee maker 😈

• Like 1