Flo S#cks, For everyone. Period. Unless you are the only person watching.. Ever..

I consider the Flo product similar to purchasing a seat at any event venue. Like any live, in-person seat, you can either make it to the show at that same date and time, or you can’t.

The quality has improved. There is much more  to watch on Flo throughout the year besides DCI. They will now be adding FCS Division college football.  For me, Flo is a bargain!

Once again,  I actually prefer watching today’s DCI productions on Flo. Multi-Cam is more interesting than viewing from one, single vantage point seat. Not everyone can, or wants, to be there in person anymore. This is a great alternative for many.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

You do realize that it isn't as simple as just "giving you the option," right? Like try to think critically about this for a second instead of drowning in your feelings: if DCI decides to allow DVR recordings of the shows, they aren't going to just pay a small fee per person using this service. There is a base amount of money they would need to pay to have the rights to the shows for non-live playback. That is money that DCI doesn't have and there is no guarantee they would make enough money off of this service to make up for what they had to pay. 

These right holders have to have a pay per use fee that flo can have data on how many times a video was viewed and by whom. So if no one wants the service then the fees are reduced.

I'm sure that Spotify has a pay per listen license on their music. My point is that there has to be a way for us to get back to this:

https://www.dci.org/news/new-and-notable-on-the-dci-fan-network-35

Look at this majesty. On demand channels for each corps...

Gimme gimme. 

Something I’ve not seen mentioned re sync licenses: TIME! The license Flo needs for DVR is the same DCI needs for the Blue Rays. DCI finals is in August, but I’d assume they start working on it as soon as the corps submit their material. DCI doesn’t announce until November at the EARLIEST the stuff they can’t get the rights to. It’s a long and complicated process for one tune, let alone 5-10 per corps times up to what, 30+ corps?

Besides the super high costs (and quantity) of the rights themselves, you’re looking at a MONSTROUS lawyer bill to cut the time it takes to acquire them all for even say San Antonio.

• Like 1

My only real complaint is that I think they should cover more events.  Otherwise, happy subscriber here.  Quality is always good on my end, although I never move away from high cam.  That's just the view I've always preferred.  Also, I screen record the shows I want easily via my iPad with decent quality and watch them whenever I want.  Works for me just fine.  

While not complaining about their service (though the corps they cut out on in one of their recent shows was the last corps I hoped they would...), I have noticed what appears to be a decrease in coverage in shows.  I'm paying the same amount while the access seems to be going to opposite direction you would think it would be going.  Really my only gripe until they cut out on corps again...and even then I try to be patient. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, tedrick said:

how can dci have content on their website from over 10 years ago still available?

Just a news story I found, the news article had screenshots of what was being offered for $65.. man we had it so good back then... 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

OP... curious as to what you are basing your estimate of 20K-30K subscribers?  It's my understanding that actual number is MUCH smaller.

What is your understanding? That would make a difference... Like I said just a ballpark based on the number of subscribers they have on their IG page. Plus potential carryovers from Wgi and whatever band parents subscribe for BOA and didn't cancel their subscription...

If it's smaller then that changes things somewhat.. 

But I couldn't find any hard numbers anywhere.

Edited by Glenn426
  • Like 1