• choreography
    • drill
    • they are equally hard to teach
  2. 2. Which is harder to perform?

• choreography
    • drill
    • they are equally hard to perform

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Well, the elite corps are also selecting members by body type. Because they can.

until the law suits start.  Not on the obvious level since they are private organizations who can define their own standards provided these are not against a specified law.  It is when the challenges to the school districts start "informing" said districts not to permit their facilities to be used for housing or their fields to be used for contests because the renter does not allow overweight people in the corps, or non-coordinated people, or two leftfooters, etc., etc.  I am seeing this similar to what happened for the Jackson, Miss. championship and other Ole South shows who denied corps housing because their were gays sleeping with each other, blacks in the corps with whites, etc.  This is not merely rumor but part of what I as a member of corps tour staff had to help work through in Birmingham, Ala. as well as Miss. BITD.  School districts are extremely sensitive to bad press.

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

When a person is directed to go from here to there... and they repeat the direction, they have been choreographed.

Look up the word for goodness sake.  You are adding definitions to get the goal post where you want it.

These silly discussions remind me of the old movie "White Christmas" where Danny Kaye laments "they're doing choreography".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Most of these posts in this thread are making me do this 🤤 like sitting through philosophy class debating rather we are really here and whether the desks in the classroom really exist.

The word you are searching for is "epistomology."  Sometimes the class even progresses to "ontology."  You're welcome.

Just now, xandandl said:

Until the lawsuits start. Not on the obvious level since they are private organizations who can define their own standards provided these are not against a specified law. It is when the challenges to the school districts start 'informing' said districts not to permit their facilities to be used for housing or their fields to be used for contests because the renter does not allow overweight people in the corps, or non-coordinated people, or two-left-footers, etc., etc.  I am seeing this as similar to what happened for the Jackson, Miss. championship and other Ole South shows who denied corps housing because their were gays sleeping with each other, blacks in the corps with whites, etc.  This is not merely rumor but part of what I as a member of corps tour staff had to help work through in Birmingham, Ala. as well as Miss. BITD.  School districts are extremely sensitive to bad press.

Besides getting off-topic, this outcome seems unlikely. Would a school not permit a sports team to use its facilities because the team physical requirements for participation?

4 hours ago, karuna said:

Ridiculous.  Even the best colorguards in DCI are not really very good dancers (although there are a handful of real dancers in each guard).  Actual skill in dance takes many, many years of intensive training -- something most of them have never put in.   There's an entirely different standard for "color guard dance" and "dance" and those judging the activity understand this.   OTOH those guard members are amazing at spinning their equipment while doing "colorguard dance" underneath.  

The same goes for having corps members dance only 1000 times that.  Don't delude yourself into thinking anyone's hornline is actually doing dance.  The only dance I've ever seen drum corps do well is marching.  They're pretty darn good at that.  Amazingly enough that form of dance allows the musicians to  -- wait for it  -- PLAY THEIR INSTRUMENT while moving.  It's pretty astounding.

This is a freaking youth activity. The fact that you're holding everyone to a professional standard is ridiculous.

Let me repeat it one more time for the crowd. This is a youth activity. 

• Like 1

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

Besides getting off-topic, this outcome seems unlikely. Would a school not permit a sports team to use its facilities because the team physical requirements for participation?

Maybe not in your little Ohio villes, but places DCI used to go what I stated began to be a problem.

3 hours ago, karuna said:

not interested in how hard or easy things are for the instructors.  that's a red herring. (and the only reason drill is far easier to teach is because they've been teaching it for thousands of years  (come on,  we have living dinosaurs) so tools have been created to optimize the transfer of information from instructor to performer.  that efficiency has come through a lot of hard work)

again.  if a drum corps wants to be a real dance ensemble, have at it.  but that's not close to what they're doing.  mostly they're just running from prop to prop, maybe a little climbing, and then pose and play.  hardly what anyone would call choreography.  yes there's choreography when they're not playing but that has always been the case in the past 20-30 years.

This is the definition of gatekeeping. And snobbishness but mostly gatekeeping. 

You sound like one of those "this is not drum corps" people from when corps switched to Bb instruments 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

This is a freaking youth activity. The fact that you're holding everyone to a professional standard is ridiculous.

Let me repeat it one more time for the crowd. This is a youth activity. 

WGI is not a youth activity in World Class.  There are moves to lift the age-out level in DCI and to set a minimum of 18 as the bottom number. Please discuss topic in context of the larger conversation.  Faculty members certainly do not do their resume/curiculum vitae as "I merely teach youth activity level."  World class members do not either.

1 minute ago, xandandl said:

WGI is not a youth activity in World Class.  There are moves to lift the age-out level in DCI and to set a minimum of 18 as the bottom number. Please discuss topic in context of the larger conversation.  Faculty members certainly do not do their resume/curiculum vitae as "I merely teach youth activity level."  World class members do not either.

You're asking me to discuss within the context of the larger conversation yet you shifted the topic to WGI?

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

until the law suits start.  It is when the challenges to the school districts start "informing" said districts not to permit their facilities to be used for housing or their fields to be used for contests because the renter does not allow overweight people in the corps, or non-coordinated people, or two leftfooters, etc., etc.  

Then you might have the corps and school committee pointing fingers at each other.  The corps would never tell a potential mm this and the committee would have no proof, just the words of the the auditioning child’s upset parent(s).  What chance does a male/female have suing a Corp because they put out the word that they only need females or males in their guard?