You May Take The Field in Exhibition

Perhaps its time for DCI to become an exhibition showcase for the marching elite. DCI can be FOUR corps running across the great landscape of America, wowing the wanna-be’s at their regional and community shows.

It has gotten to the point where 80% of the attention is given to 20% of “World-Class corps.  National touring and broadway shows on football fields are not for every corps. In fact, the majority of groups can only dream of playing on that field. So, maybe its time for the elite to stop beating up on the little ones and go off and do their own thing - as the showcase of  “Marching Music’s, Major League”.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

If you don't find the fight for the 12th spot to be of competitive interest...you're probably just not a fan of drum corps.  I'm even intrigued and anticipating the fight for who gets to be seen on the big screen on Friday night of championships.

Agreed!!

I don't even know what to say.    Yes I do.   No

Edited by bandman28
Correct spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Perhaps its time for DCI to become an exhibition showcase for the marching elite. DCI can be FOUR corps running across the great landscape of America, wowing the wanna-be’s at their regional and community shows.

It has gotten to the point where 80% of the attention is given to 20% of “World-Class corps.  National touring and broadway shows on football fields are not for every corps. In fact, the majority of groups can only dream of playing on that field. So, maybe its time for the elite to stop beating up on the little ones and go off and do their own thing - as the showcase of  “Marching Music’s, Major League”.

Sorry, I love the competition. Tomorrow I have a choice: the comfort of my sitting room watching San Antonio or going to Manchester, NH where it is predicted to be hotter than Texas. I’ll be choosing Manchester. I’ll be thrilled to see Les Stentors return to the field. Spartans/Legends will be a great matchup, seeing 7th Regiment’s improvements will impress me, and I look forward to seeing Southwind and Heatwave. 

I enjoy the shows, but competition is critical too.

• Like 9

i remember seeing an interview where chuck mangione said that giving scores to marching band didn't make much sense to him, but that he enjoyed the shows

i think that was a pretty well-balanced way of describing it, and it applies to shows just as much today as back then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Sorry, I love the competition. Tomorrow I have a choice: the comfort of my sitting room watching San Antonio or going to Manchester, NH where it is predicted to be hotter than Texas. I’ll be choosing Manchester. I’ll be thrilled to see Les Stentors return to the field. Spartans/Legends will be a great matchup, seeing 7th Regiment’s improvements will impress me, and I look forward to seeing Southwind and Heatwave. 

I enjoy the shows, but competition is critical too.

I love competition as much as anyone. But, really, look at almost any show and you can pretty safely know the order before the show even starts.   Where is the “competition”?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1