50 years ago today - July 20, 1969

I was thinking of the Apollo 11 landing and how many people worldwide were in front of their TVs watching. I just thought of some people who weren't watching; the corps members, staffs, show staffs, and audiences in the junior drum corps activity. So, here's what else was happening on July 20, 1969, fifty years ago today. 

Thanks to DCX - Drum Corps Xperience (http://www.dcxmuseum.org) for the scores.

July 20, 1969

Fairfield CT

1 Speigelaires 70.550

2 Ambassadors 67.000

3 Killmen 51.900

July 20, 1969

Great Bend KS

1 Sky Ryders 77.100

2 Argonne Rebels 76.650

3 Silver Sabres 61.350

4 Lancers 53.550

5 Trailblazers 51.900

6 Southern Rebels 47.500

7 Phantoms 39.000

8 Plainsmen 33.650

July 20, 1969

McHenry IL

1 Cavaliers 77.350

2 Kilties 76.600

3 Des Plaines Vanguard 75.850

4 Blue Stars 69.850

5 Nisei Ambassadors 69.100

6 Norwood Park Imperials 61.050

July 20, 1969

Milwaukee WI

1 St. Paul Scouts 72.900

2 Racine Scouts 68.400

3 Spectacle City Mariners 64.100

Edited by mfrontz
  • Like 6

And just yesterday I stood with 4 co-workers who all agreed the moon landing never happened.  One guy was vehement, and the other 3 followed his logic.  I failed to pursued any of them that men walked on the moon, and to my dismay had to withstand taunting and jokes until the day was over.  

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, jonnyboy said:

And just yesterday I stood with 4 co-workers who all agreed the moon landing never happened.  One guy was vehement, and the other 3 followed his logic.  I failed to pursued any of them that men walked on the moon, and to my dismay had to withstand taunting and jokes until the day was over.  

That's frightening not only for America but for your workplace.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I was thinking of the Apollo 11 landing and how many people worldwide were in front of their TVs watching. I just thought of some people who weren't watching; the corps members, staffs, show staffs, and audiences in the junior drum corps activity. So, here's what else was happening on July 20, 1969, fifty years ago today. 

Thanks to DCX - Drum Corps Xperience (http://www.dcxmuseum.org) for the scores.

July 20, 1969

Fairfield CT

1 Speigelaires 70.550

2 Ambassadors 67.000

3 Killmen 51.900

"Killmen", huh? And I thought a few of the more recent new corps names were goofy!  I wonder if this was supposed to connote that they were "killers" in the competitive sense, or if it were an all-girl corps that. . .

• Haha 2

Twenty junior corps competed that day.

Only two of them are still active, I think.

55 minutes ago, grenadasmoothie said:

"Killmen", huh? And I thought a few of the more recent new corps names were goofy!  I wonder if this was supposed to connote that they were "killers" in the competitive sense, or if it were an all-girl corps that. . .

Per DCX: "The Killmen Drum and Bugle Corps, founded in 1965, began as a junior parade corps based in Wynantskill, New York. The founding director was William (Bill) O'Conner, who had been a member of the Interstatesmen senior corps and the Troy Boys Club Skyliners. The new corps was sponsored by the Wynantskill Fire Department and the Wynantskill Kiwanis Club."

• Like 2