Seasons over for BDB and Vanguard Cadets

5 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Kinda sad they are not competing anymore. They again would probably be 1 and 2 if they competed at DCI Finals. Right now Gold, Legends and Spartans in the top three. 

In general, I find comparing OC scores from different shows more difficult than WC, perhaps because there are more WC shows so we have more comparisons, but until they all meet up, it’s hard to tell where everyone falls into place. 

I did not see and now will not see SCVC or BDB this season. I have no doubt they would have been powerhouses. I will not see Gold until Indy. Gold should not be comfortable with last night’s scores for Legends or Spartans. They’ve got great shows that will only improve. If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on Spartans, but I’d probably put some on Gold and Legends too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

Minus BDB and Vanguard Cadets it will make Open Class anyone’s to take. A new Open Class Champions is alwYs good for whoever wins. 

Sure, although you have to wonder if deep down those corps believe they were never good enough to win against all Open Class corps.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Sure, although you have to wonder if deep down those corps believe they were never good enough to win against all Open Class corps.

I don't know about that. Back when I marched Southwind in the early 90s, we won two back-to-back titles in then-Class A and Div. II (1991 and 1992). The next year, SW moved up to then-Open Class (now WC), and Carolina Crown won Div. II that year. I'm pretty sure those Crown members didn't count their victory as lesser than because we were no longer in that mix. I certainly don't. (I have some great college friends that marched that year, and they were very proud, and rightly so, of their achievement.)

Basically, if you want to play that game, you could think current-day corps must wonder if they'd really have a chance against 27th Lancers. The point is you have to be in the game to be considered. I hate that SCVC and BDB, who both have fantastic programs, are not there competing this year (if just for a fuller member experience for their crew). But let's not denigrate the achievements of the open class corps who DOES win this season.

38 minutes ago, cmchandler said:

But let's not denigrate the achievements of the open class corps who DOES win this season.

I might be wrong but I thought he was making a joke that BDB and SCVC didnt think they were good enough...so that was why they were not going. 

2 hours ago, kkrepps said:

I might be wrong but I thought he was making a joke that BDB and SCVC didnt think they were good enough...so that was why they were not going. 

That would have been a good joke, but no, I wasn't so clever!

I have tentatively proposed before that it ought to be a requirement that you win Open Class before you're able to move up to World Class. I don't actually think that should be a requirement. But it is true that the corps who have moved up to World Class in the past decade have struggled to beat BDB / SCVC when they see each other in the Prelims at Indy.

So chchandler is at least partly correct to chastise me. Even so, I am unrepentant. If SCVC and/or BDB were traveling east this year, it's very unlikely that Gold / Spartans / Legends would have a shot at winning Open Class.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That would have been a good joke, but no, I wasn't so clever!

Thanks for the clarification, I completely missed your meaning. 

Although, maybe not the inference. 

Edited by kkrepps

I do not know for sure. Assume it might be a cost cutting measure for both BD and SCV. Both corps early this year and possibly after last year's end of season awards dinners made the joint decision not to tour their "B"  corps. Hope this is not permanent. The rising costs  to tour is affecting all corps.