DCI Southeastern Championship (Atlanta) - Saturday, July 27, 2019

4 minutes ago, DCIdad said:

Mandarins finish 10th overall, but 9th in GE and 8th in visual. Brass and percussion both 14th, does that seem about right to those who watched all of the performances?  Watched their performance and thought their brass was much better than in the past, but I'm not qualified to judge. 

I am also not qualified to judge, lol. However there is no way in what I saw that they should have been 14th in both brass and percussion. As a matter of fact, there is no way in my mind they should have finished behind Cadets. Cadets are having a rough go of it. I can't see them holding on. They'll make finals, but it's going to be tight.

Takeaways:   

Crown and Cavies growing their scores best among the big guns.  BAC better watch out.  

JP sees a lot to like in Phantom's percussion, and I'd concur.

When the Mandarins get music figured out, they're gonna explode up the ordinals again.  Not sure this year will be the one, but you know that team is working on it. Tonight's judges seemed a bit harsh on that point though.

Phantom and Crossmen growing their scores among the lower set of finalists.  7-9 and 10-12 are quickly becoming 7-8 and 9-12.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Seems like brass is set. Too many corps consistently scoring higher than BD. Very difficult to rewrite trends in brass this late in the season.

Huh? Didn't they get 2nd in brass just last night, and then 4th earlier this week? Seems like they're jumping around in that caption. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, jasgre2000 said:

BD moved from 5th to 3rd from last week. SCV fell from 2nd to 4th. I don’t think brass is set.

The Cavaliers could finish third in brass in Indianapolis.  That horn line hasn’t “peaked” yet.  

• Like 1

Cadets 7/8 in music analysis? I don’t get it.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, DCIdad said:

Mandarins finish 10th overall, but 9th in GE and 8th in visual. Brass and percussion both 14th, does that seem about right to those who watched all of the performances?  Watched their performance and thought their brass was much better than in the past, but I'm not qualified to judge. 

It feels right directionally, yes, but 14 maybe too low in my opinion.  They have solidly burst into the top 12 with regards to design and visual performance, but the music hasn't completely caught up just yet. I believe they finished outside of finals in brass last year's semi's round, as well.

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Percussion scores in general have been unpredictable apart from SCV. 

Hmm I wonder why that is? Could it be something to do with a stupid rule change?? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

It seems to me like all corps get judged by the same system.  It's a level playing field.

Could it be the Blue Devils are getting the score they earn, night-to-night relative to their competition?

+++  It's TEN TIMES better without the judges running all over the place on the field, ruining the GE.  This is the best rule change in 20 years.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He's been beyond 6' with several corps all night.  Earlier he was behind the pit that was on the field. At least 10-12' out.  Yes, let them back on the field.  Know matter how good some are, how can you hear the drum line that is 20-40 feet behind the brass line?

He almost backed into us standing on the sideline. Luckily, there was a barrier.  Couldn't pick out any comments (on Mandarins).

Just now, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Not sure what to make of this: for BK, some strong GE/rep subcaption scores, but with gaps over GE/ Perf that appears at quick glance to be larger gaps than is typical for the other corps. Can the GE experts translate, please?

It's like saying that the movie script is better than the acting performance.  BUT honestly, their gaps are pretty normal.  It's actually better to be where they are with those gaps and a couple weeks to go than to be striking even or inverted (which CAN be like saying, the acting is upstaging the script).

They have some room to jump in GE that others around them don't have.

• Like 1