DCI Southeastern Championship (Atlanta) - Saturday, July 27, 2019

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just kept walking.  It was too loud for me. 

Don’t tell the Blue Coats sound tech.  He’ll turn up the volume on the corps.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rileydog said:

After 5 years of watching Drum Corp, I am no expert. But I have become firmly convinced that what the fans like and what the judges prefer are polar opposites!

I think it’s becoming more similar, though. I give a lot of credit to Bluecoats for this. They basically said to hell with the sheets, we are going to have fun and produce a kick ### show and see what happens. They have had as big an impact on the activity as Blue Devils did a decade or so ago, when they elevated guard and acting to the level of playing music.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Some books require a closer read than others, particularly the ones that are much more difficult

I would agree Cappy. And the tendency is more and more every year to ram as much down our throats as possible. It feels like the safe thing to do would be to hang out backfield, beef up your front ensemble with uber Ivan Drago level super-talent and let it ride. For a first year of no field judges, I think it went as well as we could possibly expect. Let's see how the corps adapt in the coming years. Hopefully some better design from a percussion standpoint comes through. 

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If their talking consists of response to the shows, that's OK, in my opinion.

Used to be that at the start of many drum corps competitions, the announcer would make a point of telling the audience to cheer at any point (not just between performances). Does that sort of announcement ever still happen?

Yep. At DATR/Casper. I've heard it every year at Denver, too, but this year the rainout changed everything.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

It is weird to say BD marches more than Bluecoats, but it’s true. Coats’ concept is more around combinations of musicians playing very big, complex things, with one big ensemble sound. It’s more about staging than marching. Personally I like both sides of the coin, but I am beginning to miss the marching arts.

I think both of FLO's commentators were correct in their "Post Show" assessment of Blue Devils and Bluecoats shows. Jen Barton (former SCV CG, Tech Staff, Caption Head) said: "You're looking at two very different shows. The Blue Devils with a more "cerebral approach" and the Bluecoats with a more "populist approach". Daniel Montoya Jr. (Drum Corps Writer) said: "I would have put Blue Devils ahead of Bluecoats just based on what was going on, the performance aspect............".

I need to review the videos and recap scores again but my reaction to watching the shows last night was; BD had a much cleaner show and the show seemed to visually flow which gave me a "complete feeling" watching it. Bluecoats changed some show aspects. I did not like the show as much compared to previous performances. The "Blackbird" number previously was their best number especially when the CG MM dressed as the Blackbird waved her arms as if she were flying. Last night, the feathered arm pieces were gone and she just mingled with the rest of the CG in a block formation. The whole ending of Bluecoats show seemed very disjointed and anti climactic,

I feel that bloo might have won partly due to other corps pulling other captions. It seems to help to have Crown and SCV at their shows with BD. Bloo also didnt have their best run and are still trying to find out how to integrate their new closer. I think they can do it. Screamers were not as consistent in "Shes so Heavy". Like I said earlier, if they get these issues dealt with and continue cleaning, they have a great shot at gold.

On another note, SCV is only .5 behind 1st

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

We are at the point in the season where the interaction between the corps and audience is taken into account in the judging.

It's hard to explain unless you've been to a final or two but by semis and finals the crowd collective seems to pick its favorite and gets behind them vocally.  Witness in 2008 a technically inferior Sparticus show vs BD that year which was carried over the finish line by the rabid audience response to the ending.

Last night the crowd started spontaneously SINGING "Hey Jude" as the Bluecoats were exiting the field!  That was incredible and the kind of GE you can't get any other way.  You know the corps and Bloo's staff heard it, as well as the judges.  That has to make an impact.

I wonder how this will play out in finals with the crowd singing?

Maybe, though going back about 30 years, there was another corps with a tag ending that had the entire crowd clapping along as they played and exited the field. They won every show that year and took third at finals.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Everyfan said:

Maybe, though going back about 30 years, there was another corps with a tag ending that had the entire crowd clapping along as they played and exited the field. They won every show that year and took third at finals.

Very true. If we are talking about '89 I as marching. But I still feel the fan base was a little different then too. IMHO, corps then seemed more geared towards entertainment 1st and technical perfection 2nd and the crowds seemed to follow that trend in their appreciation. Please don't take that to mean that I don't love corps (or the crowds) now. It's an amazing activity regardless of the decade. 

8 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Very true. If we are talking about '89 I as marching. But I still feel the fan base was a little different then too. IMHO, corps then seemed more geared towards entertainment 1st and technical perfection 2nd and the crowds seemed to follow that trend in their appreciation. Please don't take that to mean that I don't love corps (or the crowds) now. It's an amazing activity regardless of the decade. 

It’s not binary. Bluecoats are basically top three in DCI in every caption. To say populist concepts are somehow fundamentally not as technically expert as the more cerebral approach is not accurate.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4