DCI Southeastern Championship (Atlanta) - Saturday, July 27, 2019

17 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Pretty sure it’s just a show about this guy:

I really really hope you’s guys aren’t dissing “David” : )

That dude is my hero.  I told my bf last year after SOS, that I was leaving him for that guy.

Def have to catch him live...

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Good. That means they are doing their job. 

I would somewhat disagree. The activity cannot continue without butts in seats. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

Random thoughts the day after, from my section 126c row 24 perspective.

Overall:

I'm admittedly a dino, but I'm perfectly fine with the current state of the art form. There's enough variety in show design, music choice, and overall design philosophy, to give everybody something to like. If DCI, DCA, or some other new entity, were to start a new "Classic Class" of drum corps, with no amplification, no props, and judging criteria that emphasized drill marching and more traditional color guard equipment usage, I would totally seek out and watch it (assuming it was of good enough quality). But -- I would also continue to watch the current DCI, with whatever rules and judging sheets are current at the time (again, assuming the quality stays high).

TL;DR -- Its another good year for drum corps.

Love your perspective and review -- sounds like another "Fan" in the brotherhood of drum corps.

• Thanks 1

i'm sure someone has said, but does anyone know the attendance last night?   there were a lot of empty seats on upper level.

5 hours ago, Everyfan said:

Maybe, though going back about 30 years, there was another corps with a tag ending that had the entire crowd clapping along as they played and exited the field. They won every show that year and took third at finals.

That would be one of my all-time favorites, Blue Devils 1988.  What a horn show they had!

Also the show I point to illustrate the visual impact that was lost with those dang gray and black uniforms in a large stadium.   They were phenomenal in small venues where you could see them up close and personal.

17 hours ago, EuphoniumDad said:

Crud-bucket. I totally forgot to tell the Mandarins to "bring it" earlier today, and they dropped 0.6.

Don't tell anyone or I'll be strangled by the DM!

its all your fault 😉

For those who rely on recaps from fromthepressbox for a recap of this show : the Music Total Recap is skewered because Blue Stars' score is entered as 29.9125 (with an ordinal of 1) rather than 25.9125 (with an ordinal of 9), resulting in incorrect Music Total ordinals for all the corps who finished from 2-9.

I do because I can print their product.

FYI, these ordinals from 2-9 should be 4,1,2,6,5,8,9,7  rather than 5,2,3,7,6,9,1

I noticed this this morning and, as a courtesy) have already sent fromthepressbox an email so they can fix whatever caused this error.

41 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And it can't continue as a popularity contest. I can have a corps excelling with a show that you don't like be beat by a dirty show that you like? That's dumb. 

Good point. But why does it appear the target is always moving? If there was consistency in judging, wouldn’t scores move closer together over the years rather than being slotted in the same placement area year in and year out?