DCI Southeastern Championship (Atlanta) - Saturday, July 27, 2019

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The judges were hardly a distraction when on the field. I barely ever noticed them. It is possible, but we did not see percussion scores fluctuate to this extent in past years. And honestly sorry no, it isn't a level playing field. Some books require a closer read than others, particularly the ones that are much more difficult. 

Just curious...how many live DCI shows have you actually been to?  I don't think I've ever been to a show where the drum judge wasn't a constant distraction (before this year of course).

Edited by karuna

5 minutes ago, Cfmninjaa said:

I'm waiting for bloo to get their ending together. That and some fine adjustment and they have a great shot at gold. Not to say BD doesn't. They do as well but for the first time this season I feel bloo has more room to grow.

posted from the DrumScorps app

I agree Bloo is the favorite, but don’t count SCV out yet. They margins are razor thin and SCV has way too much talent on the field to overlook. I’m biased, but IMO they have the most talent. I do understand the design criticisms and it will like keep them out of contention for gold, but the scores are just way too tight to say they don’t have a chance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I saw a few trips tonight.  Troopers for one. 

Scv almost had a disaster in their closer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

No.  I didn't say anything of the sort.

I am saying that amp placement and mix is designed for stadiums with people and not for Flo mic pickups... which is why it is often drastically different from corps to corps on the Internet stream (the amps are placed differently to the static stream mics).

The result is that what you hear on the stream may not be (and most likely never is) like the mix live.

That was the main topic of discussion in that thread.

And I'm saying that when I saw that show live, I exclaimed "Good lord that synth is too loud." and tonight watching it on Flo, I exclaimed "Good lord that synth is too loud."

Cadets really had some marching problems in the new ending.  I’m assuming it wasn’t as noticeable on flo as it was in row 4.  One kid went to a spot two people away, then he went in front of the brassline to get to his spot.  JMO, the new ending wasn’t show ready. 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Mandarins were underscored on brass.   

I cant help but think the “legacy” of the the Cadets is helping them with their score.  It’s not matching with what’s on the field.  

I had Mandarins in 9th and Crossmen in 10th. I too think Cadets are getting some name assistance here. Historically I have loved many Cadets shows but this one is a mess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I found it interesting with the new ending that Bloo took the original "bow" out which was very cool, and then put it back in somehow.  I liked the original ending but more than that I like "big" endings.  The bow we saw tonight looked a bit forced but maybe Bluecoats staff has recognized that the fans like and are trying to keep it in.

I wonder what the judges think?

Little Rock had the bow, but it seemed super rushed and messier than the slow ending.  I suspect tonight was leaving it out with the intention of having it again when they get the timing sorted out and ending cleaned up.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I found it interesting with the new ending that Bloo took the original "bow" out which was very cool, and then put it back in somehow.  I liked the original ending but more than that I like "big" endings.  The bow we saw tonight looked a bit forced but maybe Bluecoats staff has recognized that the fans like and are trying to keep it in.

I wonder what the judges think?

I hope they keep it in but find a way to integrate it a bit better.

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Scv almost had a disaster in their closer.

Those props over those tarps on astroturf worry me.  They've got to be heavy on the wheels and those tarps just don't stay put on grass.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Cadets really had some marching problems in the new ending.  I’m assuming it wasn’t as noticeable on flo as it was in row 4.  One kid went to a spot two people away, then he went in front of the brassline to get to his spot.  JMO, the new ending wasn’t show ready. 

Unfortunately The Cadets are having a tough year but after their off season issues it’s not surprising.  I’m just glad they survived all that and will still make Finals.  That to me is something to be proud of.  Resilience is a good thing!

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 2