DCI Southeastern Championship (Atlanta) - Saturday, July 27, 2019

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If their talking consists of response to the shows, that's OK, in my opinion.

Used to be that at the start of many drum corps competitions, the announcer would make a point of telling the audience to cheer at any point (not just between performances). Does that sort of announcement ever still happen?

I’ve heard it just this year.  I’m pretty sure Mike Caplan announcer at the Cavies show in Lisle, said that.  He’s a local tv weatherman and a huge fan of drum corps.  

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Thank you everybody for sharing this night with me.  There is nobody in my real life who has even heard of drum corps so I appreciate your responses and opinions. 

Agree or disagree, I always feel like I am with friends.

Agreed!!! I’m not a huge poster but feel like I’d get along with so many folks here!! I do have a few local friends who are fans, which makes it nice!! My high school band director and drill writer were involved with The Bluecoats, hence my allegiance to them. It’s how I was introduced to DCI. (Wish I had listened and marched back then) 

During the July 4th weekend I was ok SW Florida visiting my dad. My younger sister an I were at a local bar called The Icehouse. The guy who runs the place noticed my Bluecoats shirt and said “hey Bluecoats, you’re a fan of DCI”? To which I promptly looked at him and said “shut the front door”, (maybe not verbatim) “no one ever asks that. Like no one. We talked for quite some time. He used to live in the ATL area and would always go to this show with his wife!! Anyways, I’ll stop rambling. Fun night!!! 

Now to wait till next week to see everyone in A-town!!! 🥁🎺🏼    Go Bloooo!! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I just kept walking.  It was too loud for me. 

We didn't even try the bar area. We sat over close to the front desk near the grand piano. 

8 hours ago, Fracker said:

Trombone glissandi are way out of control.  SCV's tb soloist is the way to use it.  I had to dig this up though:

LOL!  Even though I hated every second of that video which ruined my listening to a classic few minutes of drum corps history, it was pretty funny!  🤣

Edited by wvu80

I am a borderline Blue Devils hater, however I thought they should have won last night.  I liked Blues music and show concept better but it seemed not to have had some rough transitions. However the Blue Devils had a very clean show and they still did some marching in lines which excites the old school traditionalist in me.  I was also surprised to like the Troopers this  year, aditional .While I loved the old traditional uniforms  I thought the new uniforms fit their show. I was up on the third deck and their formations looked good and fit well into their show theme. Xmen and Phantom much better live than on flo.  Cavies  show was good  much better than it appeared 2 weeks ago on flo, but something is missing I will probably wake up at 2am tomorrow and realize exactly what it was, but I cant quite think of good wording to explain it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Yeah, well Garfield is better than both X-Men & PR.

I would disagree with that assessment.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

I am a borderline Blue Devils hater, however I thought they should have won last night.  I liked Blues music and show concept better but it seemed not to have had some rough transitions. However the Blue Devils had a very clean show and they still did some marching in lines which excites the old school traditionalist in me.  I was also surprised to like the Troopers this  year, aditional .While I loved the old traditional uniforms  I thought the new uniforms fit their show. I was up on the third deck and their formations looked good and fit well into their show theme. Xmen and Phantom much better live than on flo.  Cavies  show was good  much better than it appeared 2 weeks ago on flo, but something is missing I will probably wake up at 2am tomorrow and realize exactly what it was, but I cant quite think of good wording to explain it.

It is weird to say BD marches more than Bluecoats, but it’s true. Coats’ concept is more around combinations of musicians playing very big, complex things, with one big ensemble sound. It’s more about staging than marching. Personally I like both sides of the coin, but I am beginning to miss the marching arts. Seeing that massive rectangle block rotate and move...it’s just so cool. I wish Bluecoats did something like that just once in this show.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jasgre2000 said:
9 hours ago, pbeau said:

IMO Blue had the perfect ending with "The End". It we brilliant.  They are trying to add something that didn't need to be added. 

Everyone needs some Hey Jude in their life.

We are at the point in the season where the interaction between the corps and audience is taken into account in the judging.

It's hard to explain unless you've been to a final or two but by semis and finals the crowd collective seems to pick its favorite and gets behind them vocally.  Witness in 2008 a technically inferior Sparticus show vs BD that year which was carried over the finish line by the rabid audience response to the ending.

Last night the crowd started spontaneously SINGING "Hey Jude" as the Bluecoats were exiting the field!  That was incredible and the kind of GE you can't get any other way.  You know the corps and Bloo's staff heard it, as well as the judges.  That has to make an impact.

I wonder how this will play out in finals with the crowd singing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

We are at the point in the season where the interaction between the corps and audience is taken into account in the judging.

It's hard to explain unless you've been to a final or two but by semis and finals the crowd collective seems to pick its favorite and gets behind them vocally.  Witness in 2008 a technically inferior Sparticus show vs BD that year which was carried over the finish line by the rabid audience response to the ending.

Last night the crowd started spontaneously SINGING "Hey Jude" as the Bluecoats were exiting the field!  That was incredible and the kind of GE you can't get any other way.  You know the corps and Bloo's staff heard it, as well as the judges.  That has to make an impact.

I wonder how this will play out in finals with the crowd singing?

And it should play into it, imo. There is something just wrong about watching an 11.5 minute live event and walking away sort of scratching your head. That’s how I feel when I watch SCV and Crown this year. Last year at the end, I couldn’t sit in my seat if you had strapped me in. There is something fundamentally missing from SCV and Crown. 

I really think a huge issue with both are their uniforms. Both SCV and Crown have zero definition. They just do not read from the stadium seats. You just see this huge grey blob moving around the field. Conversely, this is where Bluecoats design gets it.,they specifically design groups of types of color concepts so they can move your eye around the field, make you think about why they are combining things together. BD does the exact same thing with their guard. 

• Like 7

I say this every year, so George Dixon expects me to say it again.

One of the most brilliant show designs ever put on a football field was Angels and Demons, in part because they split the corps uniforms between maroon and white. It created a whole other level of design to play with to tell the story. 

Why corps don’t to this I have no idea. If Crown and SCV did this, they would have entirely different shows. Were I designing shows I would probably do this every single season.