Two Music Analysis Judges: A Thought

So I know that since last season there have been two Music Analysis judges at all the Regionals and Championships. And I get why this is being done - to allow judges that specialize in different instrument areas (i.e. brass and percussion) to judge the same caption, giving all the corps a fair analysis of their musical product, just like with GE.

Here's what I don't get, though: When I see the recaps for these shows, I see the two MA categories and get very confused because both are labeled the exact same way ("Music - Analysis") with absolutely no distinctions aside from the judges' names. Why not call them "Music Analysis 1" and "Music Analysis 2" in the same way as GE? Moreover, why are these captions not averaged on the recap like GE is now and Percussion was before that was replaced with the two MA judges? That would make it so much easier to see who is truly the strongest in this category.

Just my $0.02. Feel free to discuss.

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

So I know that since last season there have been two Music Analysis judges at all the Regionals and Championships. And I get why this is being done - to allow judges that specialize in different instrument areas (i.e. brass and percussion) to judge the same caption, giving all the corps a fair analysis of their musical product, just like with GE.

Here's what I don't get, though: When I see the recaps for these shows, I see the two MA categories and get very confused because both are labeled the exact same way ("Music - Analysis") with absolutely no distinctions aside from the judges' names. Why not call them "Music Analysis 1" and "Music Analysis 2" in the same way as GE? Moreover, why are these captions not averaged on the recap like GE is now and Percussion was before that was replaced with the two MA judges? That would make it so much easier to see who is truly the strongest in this category.

This seems to be a good initial suggestion.  I'm one of those who was very surprised at how the the MA judges differed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

They are. The 2 music analysis numbers are averaged. That averaged number is added to the brass and percussion numbers. The sum of those 3 figures is divided by 2.

Using the Bluecoats for an example: Their MA #'s averaged to 18.225 combine that with the 18 for brass and the 18 for percussion = 54.225 divide that by 2 and you get the number you see in the total columm for the music caption.

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

They are. The 2 music analysis numbers are averaged. That averaged number is added to the brass and percussion numbers. The sum of those 3 figures is divided by 2.

Using the Bluecoats for an example: Their MA #'s averaged to 18.225 combine that with the 18 for brass and the 18 for percussion = 54.225 divide that by 2 and you get the number you see in the total columm for the music caption.

That is true, but some of us are too lazy to do the math. DCI can easily show those averages to tell us who the MA “winner” is, just like they did with the Percussion caption back when that had 2 judges.

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

That is true, but some of us are too lazy to do the math. DCI can easily show those averages to tell us who the MA “winner” is, just like they did with the Percussion caption back when that had 2 judges.

Maybe you should use fromthepressbox2.com instead. They show that average.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Barneveld said:

Maybe you should use fromthepressbox2.com instead. They show that average.

Pressbox must be doing the work to get it. Competition Suite doesn't list it that way