How does drum corps evolve?

1 minute ago, Rich Cline said:

WOW. What a treat to go watch

It really is...this community is spoiled and doesn't even know it. With programs like Harrison, Kennesaw Mountain, Walton, Hillgrove, and (across town) Lassiter. Doesn't even count a lot of traditionally strong programs like North Cobb, etc. and "newer" programs like Alatoona. It's a spoil of marching band riches all in one concentrated area. 

Which leaves me scratching my head as to when Spirit of Atlanta is going to get more hyper-aggressive about "recruiting" this area. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

When looking at changes to our “sport’” over the years, the affect of equipment manufacturers should not be overlooked. There is big money to be made by those who service this activity. These firms are constantly finding improvements to our problems and, frankly, using high end drum corps programs to promote their options. Many firms actually hire DCI instructors to represent them. Products that create a buzz leads to sales far outside simply American drum corps. The traditional marching band, scholastic and private, market dwarfs DCI.

Recent uniform evolution is a great example.

Yes. I think a lot of the uniform changes/looks etc. came about as a result of Michael Cesario being Artistic Director for DCI and now part of FJ Miller.

There is another thread on DCP about Cesario:

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166420-cesario-out-as-artistic-director/

Most of the changes in uniform styles came from the advancements in digital printing and design. Similar to amplification, because we can means we will.

1 hour ago, Rich Cline said:

Interesting questions. I think you have opened a subject for a firestorm of comments so I'll wait to see what gets posted but IMO for starters, the activity has evolved chasing getting higher scores and developing performance perfection similar to professional football. You have a top tier musically trained professionals training and judging, fans who enjoy the activity and the sport of competition, and members who compete just to get an audition to play with a winning corps, and lastly a number of schools which have a growing number people interested in playing in the band. I'm in California and here all of our schools have reduced or cut their music programs. Both BD and SCV draw heavily from the Texas area.

I was in one of the CYO bands at the end of the golden days of the three Massachusetts music circuits: CYO, Eastern MA, and Mayflower. When I first started in 1975, there were at least 100 drum corps, drill teams, and bands in the three circuits. By 1980, it was probably about two thirds, and in a few short years, about half with only a handful of the drill teams and bands. This was also at a time music programs in schools were slashed due to budget cuts. It’s hard to say if there was a correlation. The relationship between drum corps and high school bands was miserable at that time, and school programs did not feed drum corps rosters the way they do today, but you do have to wonder if the demise of school music programs had an impact.

one aspect I have been thinking about is the generation of new designers - where are they coming from what is their experience -

old timers like myself can't expect today's designers to have a similar aesthetic as designers from the 70s/80s/90s -- that old style has passed away --

the new generation of designers are influenced by a totally different cultural environment ie: electronic music vs. traditional jazz or pop music -- different music in movies, tv, broadway -- new technologies - different sytles --

The new generation isn't interested in doing what has always been done - they might appreciate it -- but they don't want to continue to do the same style year in year out --

the activity is like a running river -- the current keeps moving downstream - if you're historically upstream you need to realize that the river has kept moving - it's passed you by -- it doesn't mean to hurt your feelings, it's just the way it is -- maybe there will be features that are familiar to what you remembered upstream, (ie shows like Crown 2016) but the river is always flowing and changing -- if the river is dammed and turned into a reservoir the activity either becomes something new or it stagnates -- do we want a flowing river or do we want a lake/reservoir?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I was in one of the CYO bands at the end of the golden days of the three Massachusetts music circuits: CYO, Eastern MA, and Mayflower. When I first started in 1975, there were at least 100 drum corps, drill teams, and bands in the three circuits. By 1980, it was probably about two thirds, and in a few short years, about half with only a handful of the drill teams and bands. This was also at a time music programs in schools were slashed due to budget cuts. It’s hard to say if there was a correlation. The relationship between drum corps and high school bands was miserable at that time, and school programs did not feed drum corps rosters the way they do today, but you do have to wonder if the demise of school music programs had an impact.

California way way way back had an American Legion Nationals here and a senior champion. Fast forward to late 60's early 70's we had an entire Northern California circuit and a circuit in Southern California. That's when corps like Kingsmen, Velvet Knights flourished. Blue Devils started, Santa Clara started up and came on strong. We had 2 seniors in Sacramento plus Mandarins and another junior plus an all girls corps. 2 junior corps and a senior corps from Stockton, CA, a junior from Santa Rosa, one from San Francisco, my corps and a host of others just in Northern California.

Fast forward to now - both circuits gone in the north and the south. There is some life coming back with Pacific Crest, Gold, and Golden Empire. I read a past article written by a parent/reporter some time back that she guessed that probably 2500 marchers had gone through Santa Clara alone and Blue Devils have had an equal number if not greater. I am amazed that the supply continues for these two corps because we just don't have the kids involved in music here. May they all prosper.

20 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

When looking at changes to our “sport’” over the years, the affect of equipment manufacturers should not be overlooked. There is big money to be made by those who service this activity. These firms are constantly finding improvements to our problems and, frankly, using high end drum corps programs to promote their options. Many firms actually hire DCI instructors to represent them. Products that create a buzz leads to sales far outside simply American drum corps. The traditional marching band, scholastic and private, market dwarfs DCI.

Recent uniform evolution is a great example.

Also to be added to the formula is the development of physical health awareness and wear&tear on mms regarding certain styles of movements. As corps move more smartly regarding physical stress on the "marcher," designers have been reminded to design both winning styles but healthy styles. Ask veterans from the '70's, '80's, and early '90's about the wear and tear on ankles and knees, ask percussionists about wear and tear on hips and lower backs, consider why judges have been moved off the field, and note all the new apparatus that guardsters wear particularly for weapon work. Roll step vs bicycle step, velocity drill vs representational drill became new debates.  Art follows function often but also follows doctor bills and physical conditioning demands. What we have currently had its own history which was black as well as blue.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tedrick said:

one aspect I have been thinking about is the generation of new designers - where are they coming from what is their experience -

old timers like myself can't expect today's designers to have a similar aesthetic as designers from the 70s/80s/90s -- that old style has passed away --

the new generation of designers are influenced by a totally different cultural environment ie: electronic music vs. traditional jazz or pop music -- different music in movies, tv, broadway -- new technologies - different sytles --

The new generation isn't interested in doing what has always been done - they might appreciate it -- but they don't want to continue to do the same style year in year out --

the activity is like a running river -- the current keeps moving downstream - if you're historically upstream you need to realize that the river has kept moving - it's passed you by -- it doesn't mean to hurt your feelings, it's just the way it is -- maybe there will be features that are familiar to what you remembered upstream, (ie shows like Crown 2016) but the river is always flowing and changing -- if the river is dammed and turned into a reservoir the activity either becomes something new or it stagnates -- do we want a flowing river or do we want a lake/reservoir?

Definitely add WGI dance emphasis rather than post-military veteran organizations setting the horizons of contest adjudication with and without DCI (similar changes in public school marching band styles: very few military bands or festival only performers currently.)

• Like 2

Not all of the evolution has been bad, for the record.  I marched in the early 80's and taught through the early 90s.  I NEVER saw a water jug.  In fact, they used to give us SALT TABLETS when it was hot. And having a doctor and physical trainer on tour...???!!!  I also recall corps like 27 and the Troopers in what was THEN 30 year old buses, with no ac and driven by at times, unlicensed drivers.  And don't get me going on quality of tour food in those days.

Although we all have our own opinions of the creative aspects of today's DCI, I think most of us would agree that it is a far healthier activity for the members than it ever was.

• Like 8

I don't think the changes we've been seeing in DCI are going to end up cyclical in nature. 

DCI started out as an activity that was militaristic in nature. Its demographics now are completely different than before. 

The activity has been taken over by the artistic types, and that has moved away from marching block drill to curvilinear drill to the full blown theatre productions we have on the field now. And that is where high school programs are moving towards as well.

Modern culture has moved towards individual expression, the importance of the individual rather than the group, and that is reflected in the changes we see in DCI today