How does drum corps evolve?

On 7/21/2019 at 6:55 PM, PopcornEater1963 said:

Georgia overall has pretty shady ratings as a state. We're fortunate to live in Cobb County Georgia when it comes to an arts/marching arts perspective. There are former BOA Grand Nationalists, Super Regional Finalists, etc. about a nine iron from my driveway in any direction you want to hit the ball. 

That sounds like my shots any time I swing at a golf ball.   

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I don't think the changes we've been seeing in DCI are going to end up cyclical in nature. 

DCI started out as an activity that was militaristic in nature. Its demographics now are completely different than before. 

The activity has been taken over by the artistic types, and that has moved away from marching block drill to curvilinear drill to the full blown theatre productions we have on the field now. And that is where high school programs are moving towards as well.

Modern culture has moved towards individual expression, the importance of the individual rather than the group, and that is reflected in the changes we see in DCI today 

1. You weren't even born when DCI started nor for most of its history. What you are calling militaristic most mature adults would speak of as respectful, organized, and disciplined. Militaristic refers to war games and few corps ever had that.

2. There were always the "artistic types" and unique units who even predated your misguided history lessons. Check out the Cavaliers under the McCormack's (circus show,) the Jolly Jesters, the various Spanish-inspired units adding to the percussion inventory and rep, the nights corps played each Spring in the Carnegie Hall,NYC; Ralph Pace and Ike Iannessa expanding what a drum corps show could be/could do.

3. Change in culture is not necessarily good. Check the divorce rates.  Check the suicide rates.  Check the loss of individuals in various addictions; those numbers are only going up. What you are extolling as the positive shift in individualism, modern psychiatry and psychology is terming as "narcissism" and seeing as a growing personality disorder. Your lack of experience shows in your pontification. Stick to flossing. Sorry if this comes off rude, but as was witnessed the other day by the way you treated an elder (a female one at that,) you forget that the Creator has made us with TWO ears but only one mouth.  We need to listen more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

1. You weren't even born when DCI started nor for most of its history. What you are calling militaristic most mature adults would speak of as respectful, organized, and disciplined. Militaristic refers to war games and few corps ever had that.

2. There were always the "artistic types" and unique units who even predated your misguided history lessons. Check out the Cavaliers under the McCormack's (circus show,) the Jolly Jesters, the various Spanish-inspired units adding to the percussion inventory and rep, the nights corps played each Spring in the Carnegie Hall,NYC; Ralph Pace and Ike Iannessa expanding what a drum corps show could be/could do.

3. Change in culture is not necessarily good. Check the divorce rates.  Check the suicide rates.  Check the loss of individuals in various addictions; those numbers are only going up. What you are extolling as the positive shift in individualism, modern psychiatry and psychology is terming as "narcissism" and seeing as a growing personality disorder. Your lack of experience shows in your pontification. Stick to flossing. Sorry if this comes off rude, but as was witnessed the other day by the way you treated an elder (a female one at that,) you forget that the Creator has made us with TWO ears but only one mouth.  We need to listen more.

After all these years on DCP,  xandandl are in complete agreement!

• Like 1

Not sure what is meant by DCI being military based in 1972. Symmetric drill yes but not sure if DCI ever had a mandated color presentation. DCA dropped theirs mid 70s. IMO a big help for asymmetric drill was grounding the tymps and bells so drum line could get away from elevator drills up and down the 50. Tymps  and bells just too big to move quickly or far away

Edited by JimF-LowBari

If anything DCI was formed among other reasons to specifically eliminate that military influence of VFW/AL. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

If anything DCI was formed among other reasons to specifically eliminate that military influence of VFW/AL. 

Lol someone needs to check pre 1970s vids.... whole (really) different world....

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol someone needs to check pre 1970s vids.... whole (really) different world....

Oh man, I still remember my first rehearsals in 1969 at 12 years old. What the heck is this "Atten-Shun!" crap? "Who is mark time march?"

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Oh man, I still remember my first rehearsals in 1969 at 12 years old. What the heck is this "Atten-Shun!" crap? "Who is mark time march?"

Lol at least I waited until I was in High School to join a Senior Corps in 1974. Band never competed so starting practice with close order drill as guy was yelling out the commands was wth? Guess that was 70s version of 2010s stretching and Calisthenics lol. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

My first year marching (1975), we had a military inspection before a show in LA.  Memorial Coliseum.  I don't recall ever having one again after that. Side note: I live in WA State, and there is a parade in Ellensburg that still does military-style inspections as part of the judging. Anybody else remember military inspections as part of a drum corps show?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kbbandman said:

My first year marching (1975), we had a military inspection before a show in LA.  Memorial Coliseum.  I don't recall ever having one again after that. Side note: I live in WA State, and there is a parade in Ellensburg that still does military-style inspections as part of the judging. Anybody else remember military inspections as part of a drum corps show?

Oh yeah. We were scared to death of those guys. Some of the MMs had facial hair which was a big no no. We told the inspectors they were Orthodox Jews.  Guys in hairnets and 70s style man buns under their shakos. It was a trip.