How does drum corps evolve?

8 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

My first year marching (1975), we had a military inspection before a show in LA.  Memorial Coliseum.  I don't recall ever having one again after that. Side note: I live in WA State, and there is a parade in Ellensburg that still does military-style inspections as part of the judging. Anybody else remember military inspections as part of a drum corps show?

Until the Cadets were robbed of their West Point uniform look, such an inspection was done by the DMs and section leaders prior to each performance. DCI never had inspection as part of the judging.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:17 PM, heyboiay said:

What influences the change and evolution of design in drum corps over the years? I ask because I assume most designers/judges marched or participated in the activity during 90's and early 2000's and drum corps is WAY different now than it was then.

I actually think most current designers in the top corps marched and participated during the 80's and early 90's. But they stay current and are designing for many groups outside of the top corps. Those other groups that they design for (BOA Bands, WGI Guards/Percussion) are alot of times the testing grounds for future designs that appear on the DCI stage. Because for many years the BOA rules were more relaxed than the DCI rules of what was allowed on the field. I follow a lot of them on Instagram and Facebook and you can see where they gather their inspiration with what they do and post. For Example Scott Chandler is a Fashion GURU/ Enthusiast, Always posted the latest Fashion designs and styles from the big fashion shows and you can see the inspiration he gets from them and how they influence what BD is doing on the field and what they are wearing. I think modern Brass bands are having an influence on what is being played on the field as of late, Because the transposition between that source material is easy to make work on a football field. Modern Theater while not having direct influence outside of Boston this year can be used for inspiration with Pacing, emotion, and costuming.

Almost all top Visual/ Drill designers are involved with WGI, and the influences from WGI are blending into DCI more and more. WGI has really helped some Designers to hone their skills in staging the guard in appropriate manners.

Do designers want to try and push the envelope for their concept by adding new layers never seen before?

This is the single most important thing for a designer when trying to win a championship. You have to create something that has never been done before. This is what separates the corps that are in the top 5 and those that are fighting for a Medal. They all have Talent, They all have shows that compared to years past would have medaled or been considered a Championship caliber corps. But the difference is Innovation. IF you have that thing it can take you a long way. 

I'm sure all of the top guys have an idea in their pocket that they are waiting until the time is right and the group they are working with have all the talent and staff behind it to bring this idea to life. Bluecoats this year would be a good example. 

As a side note, do you think we are in a "phase" and drum corps will do like fashion does and return to different phases from the past? As in eventually we will return to more emphasis on marching and playing? Thoughts?

I actually do recognize some cyclical phases happening with corps.

I think we are in a Music Phase now, Where the music is the driving factor in the entertainment and effect a corps generates. More theathrical shows similar to the Late 80's and early 90's where you could listen to a DCI shows and be entertained.

The 2000's ushered in a Visual Phase, where the Cavies where dominating with Drill moves and Original/ Generic music that was only used to enhanced the visual idea on the field. Lots of fast paced drill. Music took a back seat.

I think in a couple of years we might have a designer who has an incredible drill idea that has not been done before that will lead to innovation on the visual side that will drive a show.

But like everything it will all be driven by humans and our constant need to have something new. 

The Steering committee does in fact decide what criteria the corps are to be judged against. The Change to have GE judged as a whole and not separate elements, with an emphasis on entertainment has lead to where we are currently. Once the corps and their designers get bored with this, the Steering committee will change the criteria again and we will see something else in our activity get rewarded.

My favorite decade has to be the 80’s, and if you look at what shows looked like at the beginning of the decade till the end, you see that change and innovation happened somewhat gradually, pushing the envelope a bit, trying this and that. I see Santa Clara as an example of a gradual, trying something new approach. At times it can be immediate. What George Zingali did with Cadets is an example, though if you look at 27th in 1079 and 80, you see signs of his genius and what will come.  That being said, what influences innovation most is the desire to succeed.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MikeD said:

That sounds like my shots any time I swing at a golf ball.   

Haven't been out for a while, but I used to play "Army infantry" golf: Left, right, left, right...:tongue:

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Until the Cadets were robbed of their West Point uniform look, such an inspection was done by the DMs and section leaders prior to each performance. DCI never had inspection as part of the judging.

I believe you are correct regarding DCI Competitions, but the show I was talking about was the 1975 VFW Nationals competition in LA.

17 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

I believe you are correct regarding DCI Competitions, but the show I was talking about was the 1975 VFW Nationals competition in LA.

Interesting as 1978 American Legion Nats in New Orleans did not have inspection.

75 may have been the last year for inspections at VFW/AL state and national contests. I don't remember any in '76 and on forward. 

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Might be why the L.I. Kingsmen won (Sunrisers too I think.)

Westshoremen beat Chicago Connection to be Sr winners but not listed in History of Drum Corp book for some reason.

(Signed an “I” witness lol)

46 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

My first year marching (1975), we had a military inspection before a show in LA.  Memorial Coliseum.  I don't recall ever having one again after that. Side note: I live in WA State, and there is a parade in Ellensburg that still does military-style inspections as part of the judging. Anybody else remember military inspections as part of a drum corps show? 

My marching years were 1962 AL Nationals in Las Vegas, NV, 1963 VFW Seattle WA. 1965 AL Portland, OR. with a junior, then St. Joes of Batavia and then Yankee Rebels. AL & VFW always had judged inspections as part of the competitions. Overall, there is a lot of facial hair in many of the corps now that would never have been allowed then. Times change

• Like 1