How does drum corps evolve?

10 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Believe that’s more of a perception than reality, but I really wouldn’t know, none of that side of the activity interest me. 

Think CA corps had an agreement with DCI that they would not have people eligible for DCI in their corps. East coast corps had no restriction so doing All Age then going to DCI has been going on for decades. Marched with some of them in both DCA and parade corps 

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Think CA corps had an agreement with DCI that they would not have people eligible for DCI in their corps. East coast corps had no restriction so doing All Age then going to DCI has been going on for decades. Marched with some of them in both DCA and parade corps 

Cali has plenty of local talent in both Open and World Class Cali organizations. Certainly there are those from outside the state who audition for very obvious reasons. Even BDB and SCVC would have imports, don’t know how many now with their limited tour schedules. Didn’t know it became a training circuit,  like I said I don’t follow that side of the activity. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, xandandl said:

1. You weren't even born when DCI started nor for most of its history. What you are calling militaristic most mature adults would speak of as respectful, organized, and disciplined. Militaristic refers to war games and few corps ever had that.

2. There were always the "artistic types" and unique units who even predated your misguided history lessons. Check out the Cavaliers under the McCormack's (circus show,) the Jolly Jesters, the various Spanish-inspired units adding to the percussion inventory and rep, the nights corps played each Spring in the Carnegie Hall,NYC; Ralph Pace and Ike Iannessa expanding what a drum corps show could be/could do.

3. Change in culture is not necessarily good. Check the divorce rates.  Check the suicide rates.  Check the loss of individuals in various addictions; those numbers are only going up. What you are extolling as the positive shift in individualism, modern psychiatry and psychology is terming as "narcissism" and seeing as a growing personality disorder. Your lack of experience shows in your pontification. Stick to flossing. Sorry if this comes off rude, but as was witnessed the other day by the way you treated an elder (a female one at that,) you forget that the Creator has made us with TWO ears but only one mouth.  We need to listen more.

Perhaps your "old age" is starting to affect your reading comprehension. Where in my post did I indicate any of the cultural change being a positive one? 

You placed that meaning into my post all by yourself

Your point about listening instead of speaking has been duly noted. 

PS: let's stick to the DCP rules and keep the posts about creators and such out of this please and thank you. 

Edited by Cappybara

If you take the time to watch a high cam of a great show from the good old days, and then watch a high cam of a great show from today-ish...

You WILL find that drumcorps is actually (in the words of Mr. Miyagi) "different... but same".

We have a glossy recollection of the past favorite programs that dwells on a glorified rosey picture of 20 second moments as the umbrella for all 11 minutes of a given show.  Likewise, we have a knack for dwelling on the most controversial experimentations of today and using those moments as an umbrella for the whole.

Drill is really no different now from what it was in the moments in EVERY show that it is done (same for music on the move).

So what is different?

The focal points are different.  The big musical 'wow' moments (which are more technically difficult than they used to be) are segregated from the drill and staged with a spotlight focus.  But you can see this happening as far back as 2000 with the Cadets and their 'anything you can do...' shtick (people loved it then and they still love it today).  It's the mentality of the 'drum feature' (which has always been around... since the very beginning) being applied to the other sections of the ensemble.

The influences of design are about placing these visual and musical 'wow' moments such that the 'wows' can be bigger, cleaner and clearer for the audience.  That really hasn't changed... just the vocabulary of possibilities has widened.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

If you take the time to watch a high cam of a great show from the good old days, and then watch a high cam of a great show from today-ish...

You WILL find that drumcorps is actually (in the words of Mr. Miyagi) "different... but same".

We have a glossy recollection of the past favorite programs that dwells on a glorified rosey picture of 20 second moments as the umbrella for all 11 minutes of a given show.  Likewise, we have a knack for dwelling on the most controversial experimentations of today and using those moments as an umbrella for the whole.

Drill is really no different now from what it was in the moments in EVERY show that it is done (same for music on the move).

So what is different?

The focal points are different.  The big musical 'wow' moments (which are more technically difficult than they used to be) are segregated from the drill and staged with a spotlight focus.  But you can see this happening as far back as 2000 with the Cadets and their 'anything you can do...' shtick (people loved it then and they still love it today).  It's the mentality of the 'drum feature' (which has always been around... since the very beginning) being applied to the other sections of the ensemble.

The influences of design are about placing these visual and musical 'wow' moments such that the 'wows' can be bigger, cleaner and clearer for the audience.  That really hasn't changed... just the vocabulary of possibilities has widened.

Really like the way you presented these insights, I agree with all of it 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

PS: let's stick to the DCP rules and keep the fairy tales about creators and such out of this please and thank you. 

Perhaps xandandl should have properly attributed the quote to the Greek philosopher Epictetus (I looked it up) who first said the words (actually I’m surprised he didn’t), and you are correct, DCP does not want religion in posts, but you did the same in your response.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps xandandl should have properly attributed the quote to the Greek philosopher Epictetus (I looked it up) who first said the words (actually I’m surprised he didn’t), and you are correct, DCP does not want religion in posts, but you did the same in your response.

Edited my post 

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Didn’t know it became a training circuit ... 

More or less, it needed to. A few older members -- who are into the current activity and want to keep performing -- still stick around. But every corps has needed to adapt to attract a younger membership base.

Reading Buccaneers put out a stellar product year-after-year ... and win all the time because of it. Every other DCA group trends up or down based on membership and/or available staff.

3 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Renegades wanted to recruit a number of BD guard age outs to join, and they were like NO thank you!

Well, yeah.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn’t call DCA a training circuit, more like the corps realize their survival depends on continually getting younger folks as people don’t stick around like people in the past. Not a slam but back in my day had people doing Sr corps for years and years. But times changed and the ability to do corps for many years pretty much dried up.  So less of a turnover back then. Lot more recruiting at band shows and the like today as the target audience changed.

My corps was almost all over 21 then went inactive for a year. Only way to reform was to open membership to minors which saved the corps in 1974. 

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG said:

Reading Buccaneers put out a stellar product year-after-year ... and win all the time because of it. Every other DCA group trends up or down based on membership and/or available staff.

At the band I worked with for 25 years, our front ensemble instructor marched Reading at around age 24, and she was the oldest member by a couple of years in their pit.