How does drum corps evolve?

32 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Westshoremen beat Chicago Connection to be Sr winners but not listed in History of Drum Corp book for some reason.

(Signed an “I” witness lol)

Yep.... Sun's AL win was in 1968.

I know the trip you guys took to New Orleans in 1978 lives on, with many a great story from that adventure!!  LOL

• Haha 1

On the topic of "how does drum corps evolve"... thankfully it evolved out of the "inspections" era.  LOL.

As far as I know, DCA never had them, and DCI for sure never had them. Heck... both circuits were started, in part, to move away from the AL/VFW dominance in terms of the rules, contest structure, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

On the topic of "how does drum corps evolve"... thankfully it evolved out of the "inspections" era.  LOL.

As far as I know, DCA never had them, and DCI for sure never had them. Heck... both circuits were started, in part, to move away from the AL/VFW dominance in terms of the rules, contest structure, etc.

Lack of good prize money 🙄

3 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Go lord there’s still a DCA circuit! Thought that group would be the first to go. 

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

My favorite decade has to be the 80’s, and if you look at what shows looked like at the beginning of the decade till the end, you see that change and innovation happened somewhat gradually, pushing the envelope a bit, trying this and that. I see Santa Clara as an example of a gradual, trying something new approach. At times it can be immediate. What George Zingali did with Cadets is an example, though if you look at 27th in 1079 and 80, you see signs of his genius and what will come.  That being said, what influences innovation most is the desire to succeed.

When DCI had that "best of the 70s-80s-90s" etc. show in the movie theaters several years back in springtime, it was really amazing to see the differences between the 1980 corps shown (I think it was Bridgemen and either Spirit or 27th Lancers, maybe both), and then the 1989 Vanguard. 

The 1980 Bridgemen guard had definitely moved away from the "military-look, spin and toss" color guard days and into more dance, theatrics, etc... but even there, the contrast between what was cutting- edge guard in 1980 and what was state of the art in 1989 was striking. Then toss in high-speed visuals, the growth of the front ensemble, drum lines no longer doing "elevator drills" and so forth.... I agree with you, that was some decade. 

• Like 2

Drum Corps evolution happens in ways known as punctuated equilibrium (google Eldredge & Gould for more info).

The selection pressures changes in the scoring system - well scoring shows are designed to score well using the score system in place at the time.  1976 BD would not score well on today's sheets; and today's BD would not score well on 1976 sheets.  If today's BD staff were to design a show with 1976 rules it would look a lot like 1976 BD.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English

12 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Go lord there’s still a DCA circuit! Thought that group would be the first to go. 

Believe me... there have been times when I thought so, too. :laughing:

After a 13-corps championship in 1993 there was a nice expansion period in the later 1990s and through the 2000s... but for various reasons, the growth has cooled. OK... chilled to the bone, some might say.  LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The selection pressure is changes in the scoring system - well scoring shows are designed to score well using the score system in place at the time.  1976 BD would not score well on today's sheets; and today's BD would not score well on 1976 sheets.  If today's BD staff were to design a show with 1976 rules it would look a lot like 1976 BD.

Absolutely.

I know the whole "apples and oranges" thing... but sometimes I think comparing eras is more like "apples and slabs of concrete."  :tongue:

It's a different world now.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Well we are down to A Jr circuit and A Senior/All Age circuit so where else are the corps to go. 

Agree with Fran it’s been rough at times with costs and time conflicts. As long as some competing corps exist guess DCI and DCA will continue. 

Wondering how it would affect DCI if there were no DCA corps. Some members get experience in All Age and Non competing corps. And there are staff that have spent or are spending time in DCA.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wondering how it would affect DCI if there were no DCA corps. Some members get experience in All Age and Non competing corps. And there are staff that have spent or are spending time in DCA.

Believe that’s more of a perception than reality, but I really wouldn’t know, none of that side of the activity interest me. 

Renegades wanted to recruit a number of BD guard age outs to join, and they were like NO thank you! Time to grow up and purchase a ticket. They folded. Just surprised it’s still around. 

Edited by Poppycock