Mesquite, TX - Monday, July 22, 2019

8 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Seems like some people here noticed.

Can Bloo punch up the difficulty? Thicken up some chords? Replace some eighth notes with sixteenth notes?

Doug has never written musical programs to quantitatively serve the purpose of difficulty.

At the same time, it's silly to say that his contending programs don't have moments that are technically, entirely on par with their peers.  Those moments are obvious and we all know where they occur (don't make me do a video comparison).

The comparison of the content and achievement subcaptions is certainly a useful device for gauging strength and deficiency in a design... But that perspective is a sort of analytical 'hack'.  It's not what the numbers 'mean'.

The content and achievement numbers are actually (mostly) mutually exclusive, otherwise 14th place corps would be able to pull 1st place achievement scores.

So when we look at the proficiency score we should realize that the judge is making a head to head comparison of corps on their achievement of comparable skills.  So while the brass exclusive content score was 4th last night, the same judge is saying that they were mostly technically superior (at 1st), given the direct comparison of execution in all relevant skills at all levels of musical difficulty (which we know are present in the writing).

So what do they do about it?...

Well, given the achievement score... the 1st place music analysis and percussion scores... the GE scores, etc....

They shouldn't really "do" anything.  Just keep up the usual tweaks.

On the other hand, if they were scoring 4th and 3rd in content and achievement, they would probably be motivated to add some technicality so that they can get a better head to head comparison for achievement.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, WaxDCIFan said:

BK performed without their props tonight, so that probably didn’t help.  I also felt like they came off a little flat, hard to play a subtle- dynamic show in high winds. 

What do the props add to the show? If I recall correctly they are kind of just equipment hiders. If I missed something I'd like to know to look for it next viewing. 

13 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

What do the props add to the show? If I recall correctly they are kind of just equipment hiders. If I missed something I'd like to know to look for it next viewing. 

It has been said that they do the "mirrory" thing.  I'm not sure how that helps/exposes the theme.  Looks like they just sit there.  Mirrors work best when they are close enough to see what they are reflecting.

43 minutes ago, PamahoNow said:

It has been said that they do the "mirrory" thing.  I'm not sure how that helps/exposes the theme.  Looks like they just sit there.  Mirrors work best when they are close enough to see what they are reflecting.

Everyone knows that they just add 10 lbs!!!  :laughing:

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

it seems easy because they are performing it so well. 

Not sure anyone thinks its "easy", but apparently some brass judges think other corps have more content. They could be wrong.

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Doug has never written musical programs to quantitatively serve the purpose of difficulty. [...]

Thoughtful post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I posted this in the BK thread. It's just my observation- no inside information.

I was watching a video of their show at DATR. The audience member was back I'd say 15-20 rows at least and right of center. When a corps member moved past the mirror the reflection wasn't directly in the mirror- it almost seemed to have a delayed effect based on the angle of the audience member vs the corps member vs the mirror. This was most noted at the approximately 3-6 min interval of the show.

So when you saw the reflection in the mirror there was no corps member directly in front of it. Definitely an eerie "I remember everything" Almost ghostly.

I'm generally don't care about props at all but I really like these.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dci76 said:

Right...in fact, so well designed that the undefeated after TWENTY shows Bluecoats have even managed to fool the judges!  I’m sure Doug Thrower would be happy to consider your advice and also the advice of the well-meaning poster who recommends “more 16th notes”. 

It’s okay to not like the show, but these passive-aggressive “compliments” are becoming very tiresome. 

I guess this is what it’s like to be the front runner. Everyone knows better why the judges are missing the obvious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1