Hostrauser's DCI Power Rankings - Week 5 (7/22)

Raiders seem to have a history of starting slow and then picking up a lot of points in the two weeks leading up to championships.

Last year, they scored 48.80 on June 30, then 49.10 on July 5, then 50.10 on July 21, then 51.70 on July 22, and closed the year at 60.025 at World Class Prelims.

This year, they scored 50.45 on June 28, then 49.35 on July 2, then were rained out on July 17, and their next show is Friday.

And that sort of pattern seems regular for them.

But I have no idea whether it will happen again this year. Did they lose any members to Encorps? Did they pick any members up from Highland Regiment?

- - - - - - - - - - -

As I was thinking about that, I was impressed that New Jersey still has so many drum corps: besides those corps and Jersey Surf, the state is also home to Hawthorne Caballeros, Bushwackers, and Fusion Core. "So many" is relatively speaking, of course, given that (almost?) every state and province used to have a lot more corps. Just by an idle way of a passing observation, here's how many competitive DCI or DCA full-field corps (i.e., not mini corps, SoundSport ensembles, or alumni corps) I count by state or province today:

Alabama -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

Arizona - 1 DCI

California - 13 DCI

Colorado -- 1 DCI

Connecticut -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

Florida -- 1 DCI

Georgia -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

Illinois -- 2 DCI

Iowa -- 2 DCI

Louisiana -- 1 DCI

Massachusetts - 1 DCI

Michigan -- 1 DCI

Minnesota -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

New Hampshire -- 1 DCI

New Jersey -- 3 DCA, 3 DCI

New York -- 2 DCA

North Carolina -- 1 DCA

Ohio -- 2 DCA, 1 DCI

Pennsylvania -- 2 DCA, 1 DCI

Quebec -- 1 DCI

South Carolina -- 1 DCI

Tennessee -- 1 DCI

Texas -- 3 DCI

Utah -- 1 DCI

Washington -- 2 DCI

Wisconsin -- 3 DCI

Wyoming -- 1 DCI

That's 60 in all. There was a net of one more DCI corps last year -- and four more DCA corps (ouch).

States and provinces without an active competing full-field corps are: Alaska, Alberta, Arkansas, British Columbia, Delaware, Hawai'i, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Manitoba, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Brunswick, New Mexico, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Dakota, Nova Scotia, Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Prince Edward Island, Rhode Island, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

Were there ever corps based in either Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Raiders seem to have a history of starting slow and then picking up a lot of points in the two weeks leading up to championships.

Last year, they scored 48.80 on June 30, then 49.10 on July 5, then 50.10 on July 21, then 51.70 on July 22, and closed the year at 60.025 at World Class Prelims.

This year, they scored 50.45 on June 28, then 49.35 on July 2, then were rained out on July 17, and their next show is Friday.

And that sort of pattern seems regular for them.

But I have no idea whether it will happen again this year. Did they lose any members to Encorps? Did they pick any members up from Highland Regiment?

- - - - - - - - - - -

As I was thinking about that, I was impressed that New Jersey still has so many drum corps: besides those corps and Jersey Surf, the state is also home to Hawthorne Caballeros, Bushwackers, and Fusion Core. "So many" is relatively speaking, of course, given that (almost?) every state and province used to have a lot more corps. Just by an idle way of a passing observation, here's how many competitive DCI or DCA full-field corps (i.e., not mini corps, SoundSport ensembles, or alumni corps) I count by state or province today:

Alabama -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

Arizona - 1 DCI

California - 13 DCI

Colorado -- 1 DCI

Connecticut -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

Florida -- 1 DCI

Georgia -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

Illinois -- 2 DCI

Iowa -- 2 DCI

Louisiana -- 1 DCI

Massachusetts - 1 DCI

Michigan -- 1 DCI

Minnesota -- 1 DCA, 1 DCI

New Hampshire -- 1 DCI

New Jersey -- 3 DCA, 3 DCI

New York -- 2 DCA

North Carolina -- 1 DCA

Ohio -- 2 DCA, 1 DCI

Pennsylvania -- 2 DCA, 1 DCI

Quebec -- 1 DCI

South Carolina -- 1 DCI

Tennessee -- 1 DCI

Texas -- 3 DCI

Utah -- 1 DCI

Washington -- 2 DCI

Wisconsin -- 3 DCI

Wyoming -- 1 DCI

That's 60 in all. There was a net of one more DCI corps last year -- and four more DCA corps (ouch).

States and provinces without an active competing full-field corps are: Alaska, Alberta, Arkansas, British Columbia, Delaware, Hawai'i, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Manitoba, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Brunswick, New Mexico, Newfoundland and Labrador, North Dakota, Nova Scotia, Oklahoma, Ontario, Oregon, Prince Edward Island, Rhode Island, Saskatchewan, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia.

Were there ever corps based in either Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia?

Weren't the VIPs once a small corps and winter guard in DC? John Brazale taught them drill BITD.

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 10:07 AM, hostrauser said:

Projected Championship Week Scores

[...]

77.450 Gold
76.432 Spartans

74.703 Legends

72.153 Golden Empire
70.459 Louisiana Stars
69.946 Southwind

67.892 7th Regiment
67.730 River City Rhythm
65.595 Guardians
63.595 Shadow
60.324 Heat Wave
60.000 Colt Cadets
57.541 Raiders
53.946 Les Stentors

Some of these Open Class corps have nearly reached or even surpassed these scores, 12 days out from the Prelims in Indy.

Raiders, to take the corps I previously mused upon, scored 59.10 on Saturday.

That said, there's typically quite a bit of volatility in the Open Class tour.

Also, the Open Class corps inevitably see their scores drop a few points (or more than a few) when they get to Indy.

Although sometimes the corps who make it to Semifinals recover.

Gotta give a like to a thread with Statler and Waldorf in the OP and Zoidburg as the avatar.😂