Slotting and Member Retention

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's more than staff. You have to build an organization that treats people right, is financially stable, and makes people care and want to stay. if you plan on kids and staff just passing through on their way to the next gig, thats exactly what happens. if you lay out a plan to show how you aim to build something thats great, in so many ways besides scores, you'll have better success and retention.

Agreed 100 percent. Perhaps I should have said “consistent staff and administration with a clear vision”. 

Edited by PopcornEater1963

Just now, PopcornEater1963 said:

Agreed 100 percent. Perhaps I should have said “consistent staff with a clear vision”. 

that helps. but sometimes staff needs time to build and grow together too. I have often thought if Surf could have kept a bunch of those 2012 kids as well as a majority of that staff...what could they have been in say 2015?

• Like 2

Put in the transfer rule to encourage some corps loyalty and bring parity to the activity.

• Haha 1

Yes yes yes to all the great responses here. I will just add that in a competitive environment there will always be a natural tendency with some kids (the more competitive types) to get their experience and move up. They may not be ring chasers, although DCI does have plenty of kids like that, but even if they are competitive enough to want a top 12 experience then that is what they will strive for. 

As others have said, in most cases kids can be very loyal. They want a great tour experience with friends while performing a fun show that at least gives them a chance to compete while enjoying all the other perks of drum corps. If the admin builds the best organization with great staff, keep finances strong, have a long-term plan for the corps, and make sure the kids have the best experience then you can retain most of your members who take pride in wearing their corps jacket and logo.

We must also remember that many of the top 12 corps have many college kids in them. The top 6 have the highest percentage of college kids. Is it any wonder they are top 6? No. As you get to the bottom of the top 12 and below there are more HS kids. Simply put, those corps can only go so far competitively with the age and experience they have. It might be tough to retain the college kids. Some may go to college a long way away and never march again. Some may find a corps closer to their college/university and take advantage of that. Keeping the older and more experienced members is likely where the challenge is.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jblamb1401 said:

It being relatively easy to predict a final placement/score at the beginning of the season is a dumb aspect of DCI. Year after year.  

you know I bet every year you can probably predict who the top 5 or 6 College Football teams are going to be also, and I'm guessing not once does Ball State, Maryland, Rutgers, Duke, or Minnesota ever get mentioned.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

you know I bet every year you can probably predict who the top 5 or 6 College Football teams are going to be also, and I'm guessing not once does Ball State, Maryland, Rutgers, Duke, or Minnesota ever get mentioned.

I hear you. This is a very real statement. It has come down to Clemson, Alabama, and everyone else. Other teams have to fight like hell just to get a mention. I had a coach once tell me when it comes to success and parity, “It’s not the X’s and O’s, but it’s the Jimmy’s and Joe’s.” Meaning that talent had A LOT to do with a certain level of success. Now, granted, a great system and culture is a major part, but at the end of the day you have to have that talent. In DCI, programs and staff are essential, but you have to have that talent to bring vision to reality. The top corps have a high level of talent, no doubt. 

15 hours ago, MikeD said:

There are a number of variables to a stay or leave situation for a marching member. Some probably are just interested in stepping up to the highest level corps they can. Some look at the staffs and who would be teaching them. Some want to stay and help their current corps, especially if their experience in their current corps is great. 

It is incumbent on the current corps to make the experience as pleasant and rewarding as possible, to foster an environment where members want to stay.

There are probably as many reasons for staying or leaving as there are members, and IMO that is just fine.

A million times this.

Mike

• Like 3

14 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

This.

My son started his dci career marching the with the local non-finalist and never intending to leave. 5 seasons and 2 corps later, he aged out with 4 finals appearances and one ring. Stuff happens, dreams evolve, kids become adults. He's now a high school band director and uses the different lessons he learned from his three corps in building his program. Heck, he was teaching in a corps this summer and learned something from watching warmups of another corps that he's instituting in his band when they start in 2 days.

It wasn't the "slotting" that led to him leaving, it was the opportunity to push himself, and to learn that led to not one, but two corps changes. 

My son took a similar path - for him, it has been about pushing himself to see how far he can go. Started with a #14-16 corps right out of HS, had a good experience, but wanted more challenge. Moved on the next year to a #10-12 corps, and again, enjoyed his time with them and was 100% committed during his time with them. He then took one year off for school obligations. This is his age-out year, and he wanted to go out with a bang. He tried out for two top-5 corps and is now marching with one of them, thriving on the challenging program, intense competition and pressure to perform at the highest level. For him, it's always been about having the most demanding music and drill to master that he can, and to excel in competition.

That said, there are equally as many kids who value the bond of "family" over "moving up". My son has known many members over the years who could be with a higher-slotted corps from a talent/experience perspective, but they are comfortable with their people, place highest value on the bonds, and want to stay part of the same "family. I don't think either choice is better or worse than the other - it all depends on a kid's emotional makeup and his/her most important goals for THEIR drum crops experience . . .

• Like 8