Slotting and Member Retention

20 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

you know I bet every year you can probably predict who the top 5 or 6 College Football teams are going to be also, and I'm guessing not once does Ball State, Maryland, Rutgers, Duke, or Minnesota ever get mentioned.

Row The Boat

11 hours ago, soccerguy315 said:

I doubt the marching members of the Blue Stars start spring training with the goal of winning a medal.

Does the organization want to work there way there? possibly. Does the Surf organization want to work its way toward winning medals? I don't think so, though I'm sure they would like to move solidly into the top 25.

If you state winning as a goal, too often the focus on that detracts and creates unintended consequences 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 9:22 PM, drumcorpsfever said:

It’s just band.  Great culture, great retention. Lousy culture, lousy retention. Big or small. Doesn’t matter. 

Culture is a byproduct of many tangible factors (location, finances, instruction, affordability, logistics, design, etc).

Since this thread is talking football - the current trend of every single newly hired college/pro football coaches saying "culture" or "culture change" every other sentence is one of the most obnoxious things in sports. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:52 PM, OldSchoolCorps said:

I’m interested to know the thoughts of those that have marched, or have kids that march/have marched. How much do you feel that “slotting” has to do with member retention, more specifically in Corps from 13-18? I hear from some that I know in the activity that, although the experience was good, that some kids tend to wonder what it would be like to match for a finalist Corps. One local corps that is a great organization, loses kids every year to finalist Corps because the kids hate finishing 14-16 every year. And there are years and shows where they could easily be a finalist, but it seems at the same point every year they hit that proverbial wall. I wonder if this is more prevalent than I know? Thoughts?

Of course.  In an activity where the corps all place in nearly the same spots as last year, kids know roughly what competitive outcome they are signing up for in November.  Therefore, many such kids will be interested in upgrading to a finalist corps if they can.  (As others have pointed out, that is not the only factor in potential MM decision making, but it is often a big factor.)

We are largely stuck with this reality.  To the extent that stagnant placements are due to "slotting", that is a problem that should be fixed/prevented.  But I think competitive rank would still be sufficiently slow-moving to perpetuate the migratory behavior of marchers.