PECKVILLE - Live Stream

Thing is that a lot of these corps, like Fusion, White Sabres, Cabs (to a lesser extent), etc, are corps lingering in the top 5 in the circuit. These are corps that are ostensibly in it to win it.  These corps know what Reading puts out there year after year, yet these shows seem to come off the drawing board with absolutely no prayer against a program such as the Bucs.  Perhaps it's because when you have won as much, and as regularly as the Bucs, you feel the freedom to explore more expansive ideas.  In any circuit, if you do not have the show, nothing you do will matter.

Edited by VOReason
  • Like 1

Scores, showing in parentheses the scores from last year at the same event (where applicable):

Open Class

1. 86.20 Reading Buccaneers (2018: 1st 86.95)

2. 83.95 Hawthorne Caballeros (2018: 3rd 82.825)

3. 79.35 White Sabers (2018: 4th 82.20)

4. 78.75 Bushwackers (2018: 5th 76.80)

5. 76.80 Fusion Core

6. 74.95 Cincinnati Tradition (2018: 7th 72.15)

7. 74.05 Connecticut Hurricanes

Class A

1. 69.65 Skyliners (2018: 1st: 67.70)

Lots of thoughts to come but to those watching the feed sorry if you had to look at me early on. I had no idea I was right in front of a camera til they told me. I bought my seats the day they went on sale and they didn’t specify “ guys that are 6’3” will be in the shot if they stand up”

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, VOReason said:

Thing is that a lot of these corps, like Fusion, White Sabres, Cabs (to a lesser extent), etc, are corps lingering in the top 5 in the circuit. These are corps that are ostensibly in it to win it.  These corps know what Reading puts out there year after year, yet these shows seem to come off the drawing board with absolutely no prayer against a program such as the Bucs.  Perhaps it's because when you have won as much, and as regularly as the Bucs, you feel the freedom to explore more expansive ideas.  In any circuit, if you do not have the show, nothing you do will matter.

Talent is also an issue. Bodies are also an issue. The Bucs field 60 horns every season. Anyone else close to that? Maybe CV? In several of these cases... you design to "Bucs level", you'll over-design the program and fail on an epic level. One must design for who they have, not what they should have or wish they had, or had the Bucs' performers.

The top 5-8 in DCA is a different animal than DCI. The Cabs surge this season is a pleasant surprise. With the demise of C2... pre-season, the thought was only CV could take a hard=core crack at the Bucs. The real competition in DCA is usually in the 3-4 to 7-8 spots in Open. That's where the Judges earn their keep.

Would it be nice to see 4-5 other corps really extend to the Bucs Level? YES. But that takes a lot of things falling into line. A LOT.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Lots of thoughts to come but to those watching the feed sorry if you had to look at me early on. I had no idea I was right in front of a camera til they told me. I bought my seats the day they went on sale and they didn’t specify “ guys that are 6’3” will be in the shot if they stand up”

You got to do what you feel. I didn't know the Blue Coats had that crowd cam set up at Chester in 2014, and well... you just got to do what you feel. The members don't give a flip if you blocked the feed, they needed to see you into their performance. :satisfied:

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Oops I was laughing that guy looked like you from the back. Well whadda know. 

My though was problem was Box5 for having camera too low if they had that problem to begin with. At least you only stood when field was empty

Edited by JimF-LowBari

From a technical standpoint, the viewing experience using Box5 was quite good. Clear picture, balanced sound, no buffering, steady camera work, etc. Because I was monitoring both DCA and DCI at the same time, I had 2 systems running. My usual Roku hook-up with very good peripheral equipment supporting it. That was for the DCI.

For DCA, I used the newest version, 13 inch Apple iPad held about 2 feet in front of me (with just earbuds).

Most of the time, I only watched the DCI event . . . . but did enjoy watching Jeff’s arrival in Peckville !

I only sampled the DCA corps, not watching anyone in their entirety. Corps are mostly smaller in number of members, and the winner was the correct choice. Watched Atlanta CV earlier at the DCI event.  Their percussion section is large and talented. About 50 brass, I think. Big guard. Musical program was a little “reserved” for my taste, but Atlanta CV is a lock for a podium finish in Williamsport from my very limited, living room perspective.

By the way, trying to watch DCA on one screen and at the same time, the very best of DCI on a much bigger set-up is not fair to either league. Right now, I have greater interest in the DCI drama. So, I was probably 85% DCI viewer, 14% DCA viewer, and 1% Jeff Ream.

• Haha 1

At the viewing party I was at, questions came up that quickly led to speculation. Would a spokesperson for this corps be able to answer these questions?

~ Bucs march mostly DCI age-outs?

~ If you march Bucs brass line you are guaranteed a spot in Crown or Boston?

~ same for Bushwackers percussion and Crown. 

~ Why are the brass sections of these DCA corps not as “professional” looking and sounding as the drum and front lines? This includes Bucs and Cabs. Do they rehearse m&m less?

~ What is it that Fusion is doing that Hurcs aren’t?  Many of us thought Hurricanes sounded better than Fusion. We were all surprised to see Fusion’s Brass beating White Sabers brass.  Lots of dropped phrases in Adagio for Strings and certainly more awkward brass tone production than Hurcs and White Sabers.

I’m in the medical field and have a handful of music training. I play in a community band here in NJ that has lots of drum corps talk going on during breaks. And during rehearsals. That’s to say, I’m up on my drum corps knowledge and I have eyes and ears. What am I missing with some of these obvious misplaced sections and drum corps  

I appreciate the enlightenment.