PECKVILLE - Live Stream

On 8/1/2019 at 9:09 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol how do you get a Yugo to go from 0-60 in just a few seconds.... push it off a cliff..:

And how do get a program such as Fusion, White Sabers, and to a lesser extent, Caballeros to compete against a program like the Bucs?  Do you tie their shoelaces together, and put bubble gum in their mouthpieces?

• Like 1

Folks seem to think that the lack of competitive parity in the circuit is due to rehearsal schedules, recruitment, staff coordination, etc., etc., when the simple truth is that it comes down to program design.  Bucs simply put out the program that is closest to the paradigm of the modern activity, year after year.  The rest of the circuit, with the exception of a couple corps, seem consistently behind the curve.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

don't drink the water in Tuscaloosa

I will remember that if I ever get to an Alabama football game. :tongue:

37 minutes ago, VOReason said:

And how do get a program such as Fusion, White Sabers, and to a lesser extent, Caballeros to compete against a program like the Bucs?  Do you tie their shoelaces together, and put bubble gum in their mouthpieces?

At least until May, yes.  :tongue:

37 minutes ago, VOReason said:

Folks seem to think that the lack of competitive parity in the circuit is due to rehearsal schedules, recruitment, staff coordination, etc., etc., when the simple truth is that it comes down to program design.  Bucs simply put out the program that is closest to the paradigm of the modern activity, year after year.  The rest of the circuit, with the exception of a couple corps, seem consistently behind the curve.

I would agree. But that ability to create a show which is closest to the paradigm of the modern activity of DCI I truly believe in my heart of hearts, is because of the very things we are talking about. Staff, rehearsal, preparedness years ahead, recruiting. Bucs do everything at a level of at LEAST an Open Class DCI corps. 

Don't take that to mean that I disagree with your comment on design...you're 1000000% correct. But the ability to focus on that design is aided by the fact that Bucs aren't behind the 8-Ball on everything else walking into the season. Just MHO though. 

29 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I will remember that if I ever get to an Alabama football game. :tongue:

I'm a UA graduate. In fact, it's funny that Clint Gillespie was our percussion caption head at UA since he was also associated with Spirit. I showed my freshman year for auditions at UA and it was like a Spirit of Atlanta reunion party...Clint, Scott Brown, Turtle etc etc etc. Thankfully, I had always gotten along with those cats. Clint got mad at me because I had taken the "summer off from playing" (I told you that young me was a dullard,) and got tendinitis by day 5 of the 1st "camp" at UA. 

On another note, I was dormed at Paty Hall (I think most of the Freshmen Music Majors were,) which was the furthest conceivable place on campus you could be from the Moody Music building. What made it worse is that there was a student center right across from the dorm that opened at 7am and they had 20 9-foot POOL TABLESSSSS...ugh that year was full of so much temptation. 

• Like 2

Hmmm,  that's why I like your stuff, Weaklefthand4Ever!

Not a UA grad, but a fan since Joe Namath enrolled. Been to games in Tuscaloosa several times. Best live college football experiences on Earth. Million Dollar Band gives me goosebumps when they play on the Library steps. Or maybe, to be honest, it's those Majorettes. Twirling ability has nothing to do with making that squad. Oh, my!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Hmmm,  that's why I like your stuff, Weaklefthand4Ever!

Not a UA grad, but a fan since Joe Namath enrolled. Been to games in Tuscaloosa several times. Best live college football experiences on Earth. Million Dollar Band gives me goosebumps when they play on the Library steps. Or maybe, to be honest, it's those Majorettes. Twirling ability has nothing to do with making that squad. Oh, my!

LOL. Thanks Fred. I can say that like most Freshman, the temptation to be a stupid college kid sometimes got to me. I think we had a little over 300 in the band that first year. And being 18, I learned that hangover + kevlar heads on snare drums = ughhhhhhhhhh. The good news was that with that many folks, there was no room to march really. It was kinda back 8, left crab 8, forward 8, right crab 8 (YAY!! I MADE A BOX in 32!!!!) It was like marching DCI in the early 80's (don't kill me for that.)

It was also a drumline with some hella talent in it. We had cats from BD, Cavies, Southwind, Cadets and (of course) the Spirit folks. We all pretty much had marched with or against each other at some point. Cool times. Sometimes I wish I was still that age and then I remember that I had absolutely NO MONEY and think the better of it. 

Some day I hope to get to see a 'Bama game in person. Like Fred, I'm not an alum... but I've been a fan for decades.

This Jersey guy "adopted" 'Bama and Texas as two of my college favorites when both teams ran the wishbone option offense... and I've been with 'em both since.

Speaking of dominant programs, like Bama's football team.... LOL... back to our "can anyone stop the Buccaneers" topic.  :laughing:

28 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Speaking of dominant programs, like Bama's football team.... LOL... back to our "can anyone stop the Buccaneers" topic.

I don't think so quite honestly. Don't get me wrong, I love my DCA alma-mater, but I don't think CV can catch them. I haven't seen the Cabs this year. It's been touched on several times in this thread. The preparation and organization that goes into a Bucs show is just that little bit ahead of what everyone else is currently doing. If CV used the same model (and I think they're using a similar one considering their VAST improvement from 2010 to today,) and had the same face time in front of the DCA judges, we might have a dog fight at the top. 

• Like 1