Hattiesburg, MS - Wednesday, July 24, 2019

8 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m no soothsayer but when I was reading several paragraphs about the show...well, I have a theory about long explanations about 11 minute shows.

I think most people had the same reaction when reading that, and the first word that came to mind was not "behold."  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Less to do with him personally than the consistency and routine that he represented. All the winter work was done with the routine in place that had existed for decades. Even when he was removed and some parts of the show had to be reworked, the inertia of the way of doing things kept things moving forward.

This year, rather than start with the consistent approach and begin tweaking it, the choice was made to throw out bathwater and baby and attempt to reinvent everything at once. The result: an epic mess and both design and performance confusion. If you attempt to turn an ocean liner that sharply, you are bound to capsize.

At least the pain is going to be so severe that all concerned may be shocked into planning better in the future. 

The show lacks any wow moments. Those ramps seems more of a distraction than a GE asset. They just run up and down it without any “wow that’s pretty cool”. BD and the Coats use their props effectively and it works. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

If you attempt to turn an ocean liner that sharply, you are bound to capsize.

Funny you should say that when we have a thread titled “How do the Cadets right the ship?”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I personally agree with the placements without the benefit of seeing the corps tonight - Mandarins are very good

however it is interesting how lemming like the judging community can be - a week ago Cadets were beating these corps and now suddenly the judges are having BS three point them - three points is a mile in DCI distance 

its a bit dramatic of a shift - volcanic explosions have been more subtle imo 

crossmen will be ahead of Cadets in ATL imo

I think it's more of judges giving Cadets the benefit of the doubt for a while. It took judges forever to realize phantom's show design in 2009 was a huge miss compared to the year prior 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think it's more of judges giving Cadets the benefit of the doubt for a while. It took judges forever to realize phantom's show design in 2009 was a huge miss compared to the year prior 

Remind me what was Phantom’s show in 2009? I don’t remember 🙄

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The reverse happened in 08 with Blue Stars, took awhile to start not being scored like a 14th place corps. First several shows out they were losing to Colts (who ended up placing 14th)

9 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

Remind me what was Phantom’s show in 2009? I don’t remember 🙄

The Red Violin.

Pac Crest beating Madison, Mandarins beating Cadets. Cali corps representing up and down the rankings!! 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Pac Crest beating Madison, Mandarins beating Cadets. Cali corps representing up and down the rankings!! 

If I was in a coma for 5 years and just now woke up....to see corps like MS, PR and the Cadets in this situation....did hell freeze over? 

Edited by DFA1970
  • Like 3