Little Rock, AR - Wednesday, July 20, 2019

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

After watching the periscopes from way up high, I’m even more convinced that I actually do have the best seats in the house in Indy.  This kind of drum corps should be watched in the lower sections.  You miss a lot of nuance way high.  

Honest question (and Terri, I only quoted you b/c you mentioned the highlighted portion):

How do all of the box judges pick up the nuance, and how much of it do they actually pick up?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Completely agree! I have been converted from a high watcher to a front and low watcher the last two seasons. Especially after you have seen the drill from high at least once to know it, I then enjoy the show better. 

There really are no bad seats... Unless you are stuck out on the end.

What you trade in overhead visual, you gain in volume and intimacy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

None of their achievement scores are higher than their content (not that it really mattered when they were).

I think we have different definitions of what leveling out means lol

I take it to mean that the content and achivement scores are either equal or achievment is higher than the content

5 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Completely agree! I have been converted from a high watcher to a front and low watcher the last two seasons. Especially after you have seen the drill from high at least once to know it, I then enjoy the show better. 

I sat up high in Lisle and Whitewater. Sat low in Zionsville and Dekalb.   Sitting low in Atlanta Saturday and Indy. 

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think we have different definitions of what leveling out means lol

I take it to mean that the content and achivement scores are either equal or achievment is higher than the content

The standard goal (especially if you aren't winning a caption) is to have your achievement score even or lower than your content score until the very end of the season.  If your achievement score exceeds your content... then there is a 'possible' (but not certain) interpretation there that you are outperforming your program and have less chance to move up in the rankings without changing your content.

Bloo had been getting figures like that in a number of subcaptions (it just didn't matter that much because they were mostly winning).  The brass caption however had a pretty significant discrepancy the other night and they were ranked 2nd (as I recall).  Ultimately, It leveled out to even last night.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Same. I used to always seek out the "press box" seats, but as corps move away from more traditional drill design to staging and individual dance/facial performance, there is so much of the show that you are missing if you are up at the top of the stands. Plus getting your face blown off never gets old.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, rcb05 said:

Same. I used to always seek out the "press box" seats, but as corps move away from more traditional drill design to staging and individual dance/facial performance, there is so much of the show that you are missing if you are up at the top of the stands. Plus getting your face blown off never gets old.

Translation: there used to be stuff to see from up high.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

BITD (my day, anyway) you'd be considered an oddball if you chose to sit low. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ediker said:

There still is with Blue Stars, at least.

• Like 1