New Rule for the next conference

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

I'm for this in theory, but the problem is enforcement. Who decides what is "music" and what is not?

Like I said, only "effects" and "spoken word" can be pre-recorded. 

4 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Dada! 

Year was 2012, correct?  I am calling for singing to be performed live.  You stated 70s, 80s, 90s.  There was no singing by your corps in those years if memory serves correctly.  At least not pre-recorded.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

1 minute ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Like I said, only "effects" and "spoken word" can be pre-recorded. 

Right but "spoken word" can also be music.

Does Boston's Hamilton sampling count as spoken word or music? 

• Thanks 1

I really appreciate this effort but it equates to putting the toothpaste back in the tube.  I think there was a rule proposal in the last couple of years about limiting shotgun mics.  It was “shot” down. I don’t think they’re going to roll this back either.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

Does Boston's Hamilton sampling count as spoken word or music? 

You make a valid point.  However, that is spoken to music.  I believe the recorded words in Hamilton include music.  I have not heard the sample by itself to be able to provide a conclusive response. 

To take that a step further, I believe every rap artist would state that when they rap, it is music.  However, I couldn't rap a gift box if I tried.:lol:

Edited by Old Corps Guy

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I saw the bluecoats hornline lean in on the 50 and more sound was coming from the 30.  To have the hornlines some of the corps have and misuse the amps the way they do is offensive.  Honestly it might be time to retire the brass altogether and have 154 dancers.  (kidding)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, dark-helmet said:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I saw the bluecoats hornline lean in on the 50 and more sound was coming from the 30.  To have the hornlines some of the corps have and misuse the amps the way they do is offensive.  Honestly it might be time to retire the brass altogether and have 154 dancers.  (kidding)

I was speaking to a marching band judge at the Katy show and he made the comment that he calls out bands that have a soloist that he can see clearly playing on side two while hearing their actual solo coming out of a speaker on side one.  You would think that sound engineers on the field could at least get a soloist sound to come out of the speakers on the side where the soloist is standing.  I saw so many people looking all over the field trying to find the soloist.

This applies to your comment of hearing away from where you are seeing. We have the technology......................

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think there was a rule proposal in the last couple of years about limiting shotgun mics.  It was “shot” down. I don’t think they’re going to this back either.  

Unfortunately, Terri is right on this part.  Shotgun mics appear to be here to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dark-helmet said:

This thought appears here quite often.  Not kidding.

5 minutes ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Year was 2012, correct?  I am calling for singing to be performed live.  You stated 70s, 80s, 90s.  There was no singing by your corps in those years if memory serves correctly.  At least not pre-recorded.

Bringing to your attention that without narration, recorded sound tracks, or voiceovers didn’t change the outcome.

Member organizations agreed to play within the boundaries of the rules they themselves adopted. This is the game they chose to play. Some play it better than others. 

• Like 2

Just now, Poppycock said:

Bringing to your attention that without narration, recorded sound tracks, or voiceovers didn’t change the outcome.

Member organizations agreed to play within the boundaries of the rules they themselves adopted. This is the game they chose to play. Some play it better than others. 

OK, I can agree with this part.  As I stated at the beginning, effects and spoken word I can accept.

Setting the boundaries may have gone too far with recorded singing.  I truly believe this needs to be addressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1