New Rule for the next conference

6 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the opportunity to see all of the World Class Corps perform this past weekend in Texas.  While I truly enjoyed every performance, there was one thing that really bothered me.  The amount of pre-recorded singing was embarrassing for a musical performance.  It was like going to a Milli Vanilli concert.  How is it that we can have over 100 musicians perform live and yet we have to listen to pre-recorded vocals?  My suggestion is as follows:

All music is to be performed live.  Sync should be limited to "effects" and spoken word.  All singing, playing of music is to be performed live.

Thoughts?

Why?

Just now, Algernon said:

Why?

My OP was clear as to why. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

currently the rules allow for whatever.

but if the judges can tell no one is actually playing but hear the sounds, what credit for content do you get? the only judge that would truly be able to credit it would be GE

Incorrect. Sampling an entire phrase of brass music is not legal. Sampling each note of a phrase and triggering 1 by 1 IS legal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

I'm talking about vocals.  I don't recall your corps performing any vocals in the 70, 80s or 90s.  Why the need for them to be recorded and played back now?

They performed singing in '84 or '85....

5 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

The risk is no different than a soloist on a horn.  I learned this first hand in my second year of marching drum corps.  I was a soloist and I got hit by a pike at the beginning of the show.  By the time my solo came up, I had a fat lip. My playing was weak to say the least and wasn't even heard by most of the crowd/judges. 

This is part of performing "live" and is a risk to use in any performance. Whether it is drum corps or a band playing a concert.

So, while I agree with you, even some of the horn soloists are being put through mics and (likely *ahem*) filters.  Any trumpet or baritone that sounds more electronic than brass is questionable.  Raw grit is more risky but shouldn't it be more heavily rewarded?!  Hmmm

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Which is happening now in Bluecoats show... I don't even think the Trumpets are being live Sampled, there is a section in the show where a Trumpet lick goes on but the Trumpets stop playing,

And yes within the Rules, but FOR GE purposes it is still enhancing the product.. 

I think I remember that in T\LT as well.