New Rule for the next conference

4 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Like I said, only "effects" and "spoken word" can be pre-recorded. 

Why the spoken word being allowed.  Seems most corps have 154 folks who learned how to do this a while back.

• Haha 1

Perhaps we could “massage” the rule to allow the effects, but if technical issues happen and something goes kaput you get penalized 3 points. Too bad; that’s the risk. What? Your baritone solo in Babylon went haywire? Impossible, you say? Congrats, you lost Nats— and that rhymes. 

Show Coordinator: “Hey gang— last night as I was taking my bath in warm chocolate I had a thought: are all our effects ** really ** necessary? Let’s discuss...”

Edited by TRacer
Tiepoze...bad eyesight day.

6 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

Please defend your position.  I defended mine.

My position: I'm against this proposal for the sole reason that I've seen so many corps try to do live singing/vocals and it has almost always sounded like trash (crown 2013 and cadets 2014, Bloo 2018 being exceptions to the rule, there may be one or two more I'm forgetting)

If I have to choose between live vocals or precorded, I'll take the pre-recorded because it's way easier on the ears 

Edited by Cappybara

Spoken word can only be allowed if performed by William Shatner— the man is a visionary:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I'm fine with most of the electronics stuff, when used well. Some of the effects the Bluecoats and others create are amazing.

The main thing I don't care for... a corps using those front-sideline area mics to basically pump up the volume of their entire horn line.

Last year's Thursday semifinals cinecast... the Colts were really loud. Artificially loud, IMO.  I remember one of the show hosts (Dennis, Steve, I forget who) making an oblique reference to how....uhhhh... loud they were. LOL

If you have, what... anywhere from 60 to 80 well-trained brass players, do you really need to enhance their volume?

Bloo is doing this a LOT.  Well mind you but a LOT.

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

Why?

Because the talent of the performer is what should be on display, not the creative recording done in someones basement.  It may be brilliant, but it's not live and quite frankly it's what a lot of us miss from the old days.  Hell, it was early so they may have changed it, but there was what felt like three minutes that one corps parked the hornline out of sight and did whatever it is that went on.  Honestly if I was a member and I parked out of sight for that length of time, I would wonder why I joined.  I wanted to play my horn as much as I could because that's what I was best at.  I can understand staging and props (not a fan) but for music people the acoustic production of sound is what we are impressed with, not some sample played on time.  Overtones......I want overtones.

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Which is happening now in Bluecoats show... I don't even think the Trumpets are being live Sampled, there is a section in the show where a Trumpet lick goes on but the Trumpets stop playing,

And yes within the Rules, but FOR GE purposes it is still enhancing the product.. 

One reason why I can't "like" their show. 

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really appreciate this effort but it equates to putting the toothpaste back in the tube.  I think there was a rule proposal in the last couple of years about limiting shotgun mics.  It was “shot” down. I don’t think they’re going to roll this back either.  

Well at least they took a "shot" at limiting the mics. :peek:

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Bloo is doing this a LOT.  Well mind you but a LOT.

I am starting to wonder how many "Is it live or is it Memorex" moments are going on, with any number of corps.

Not totally sure I've sorted out my feelings about the whole thing yet. Not that anyone should care about what I do with my feelings. :tongue:

5 hours ago, dark-helmet said:

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I saw the bluecoats hornline lean in on the 50 and more sound was coming from the 30.  To have the hornlines some of the corps have and misuse the amps the way they do is offensive.  Honestly it might be time to retire the brass altogether and have 154 dancers.  (kidding)

That corps name has already been taken by me,,,,,please do not tread on my copyrighted corps name. :lol:

154th Dancer:dancin: from Ipswich Massachusetts & Pass christian Mississippi. 

Edited by E3D
  • Haha 1