New Rule for the next conference

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Heard it as well... my first year marching, 1971. The so-called "Year That Drum Corps Died."  LOL.

so it's YOUR fault.

• Haha 1

After what happened to Crown at 2017 finals I don't think any corps would pass a motion to prohibit recorded vocals. Live singing was a huge trend for a while but that epic failure pretty much killed it. Bloo was one of the only corps that had a vocalist last year and now they've followed suit and are using pre recorded tracks like everyone else.

The crazy thing with Crown is, that while it was super risky to devote half of a show to a featured vocalist, the fact that her mic went haywire on the most important night of the summer didn't effect their music scores at all. It makes me wonder if vocals aren't a factor in the minds of the judges, and if so why not?

10 hours ago, tommynev said:

After what happened to Crown at 2017 finals I don't think any corps would pass a motion to prohibit recorded vocals. Live singing was a huge trend for a while but that epic failure pretty much killed it. Bloo was one of the only corps that had a vocalist last year and now they've followed suit and are using pre recorded tracks like everyone else.

The crazy thing with Crown is, that while it was super risky to devote half of a show to a featured vocalist, the fact that her mic went haywire on the most important night of the summer didn't effect their music scores at all. It makes me wonder if vocals aren't a factor in the minds of the judges, and if so why not?

judges are afraid to make too big of a statement. one of the music emphasis Ge judges had them 5th...that had to hurt. the 1st in ensemble definitely has me shaking my head a bit

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

judges are afraid to make too big of a statement. one of the music emphasis Ge judges had them 5th...that had to hurt. the 1st in ensemble definitely has me shaking my head a bit

This risk is in play with all electronics. If memory serves, Bluecoats lost almost all their electronis at Semi-finals during their first championship season and still kept their lead over BD.

Edited by Old Corps Guy

3 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

This risk is in play with all electronics. If memory serves, Bluecoats lost almost all their electronis at Semi-finals during their first championship sason and still kept their lead over BD.

yes but the spread was much closer

A question to the percussionists regarding this suggestion.  Is the "speak sing percussion" during the Bluecoats drum break pre-recorded?  If it is, that would be another "Metronome" effect.