New Rule for the next conference

On 7/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, Hook'emCavies said:

Hahaha... does that synth tech play the contra? 

Shouldn’t that be the T word (tuba) instead of contra in this day and age 😈

• Haha 1

So watching Crown last night..

Man they have alot of Enhancements as well.

The open hit is laced with a high Choral Patch that is adding to the intensity being felt. 

You'll notice how much the volume drops on the second phrase of the opening hit and come back for the closing chord of the Intro when this High Choral patch from the Synth is back in.

Everyone is playing this Electronic arms race now.

Those that are playing the game well are at the top of the Music captions, so it seems like the Judges can hear the enhancements are giving credit to it, or they cant tell which IMO is a good thing and are "being fooled" like the rest of us...

If it wasn't for FLO putting the mics right on the speakers It would be hard to tell. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

The open hit is laced with a high Choral Patch that is adding to the intensity being felt. 

You'll notice how much the volume drops on the second phrase of the opening hit and come back for the closing chord of the Intro when this High Choral patch from the Synth is back in.

Those that are playing the game well are at the top of the Music captions, so it seems like the Judges can hear the enhancements are giving credit to it, or they cant tell which IMO is a good thing and are "being fooled" like the rest of us...

If it wasn't for FLO putting the mics right on the speakers It would be hard to tell. 

Enhancements are different than singing and controlling the tempo with pre-recorded tracks.  I have no problem with the enhancements if the judges are agreeing with it.  Where my issue remains is music that is not being performed on the field and when the tempo is being controlled by a "Faux" metronome.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

noticed and saw reports from people there how noticeable it was

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This is responsive to my question, thank you. It means that the freedom to use as much pre-recorded music as you want is kept in check only by the risk of losing points in the brass & perc subcaptions. Perhaps the corps -- the members who vote for this -- feel this tension is enough to keep recorded audio from running away with the shows. Perhaps they're right. Or, perhaps, they will be right only until the pre-recorded stuff gets so good and so compelling that the members will want to change the rules in such a way that diminishes or even eliminates this tension. The only real barrier to runaway pre-recorded music is the members' desire to keep this an activity whose primary mode is human-powered live musical performance.

So, the ultimate question: Do they have that desire?

Great point!  I've met most many of them, and I'd say yes, they do.

Mike

I have been a fan of drum corps since the sixties, so I've seen more changes than most people in this discussion. While would love to see this rule change enacted, there is one  constant with DCI rules. Once something is allowed, it will not be disallowed.

Us old-timers/veterans/dinos have to either accept changes we dislike, or find another way to spend our summers. I will be in Indy, cheering like crazy.

George Starr

Woodsiders, Caballeros.,  **/*/***

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Old Corps Guy said:

A question to the percussionists regarding this suggestion.  Is the "speak sing percussion" during the Bluecoats drum break pre-recorded?  If it is, that would be another "Metronome" effect.

It seems to me that it is pre-recorded, and yeah that is another use of the Metronome. 

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

YES! You say "added to the intensity", but I felt "ack my ears what is that white noise?!"

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 11:54 AM, Old Corps Guy said:

Please defend your position.  I defended mine.

The stakeholders have worked hard to bring the drumcorps idiom to a place that welcomes the innovative possibilities for other performing ensembles like the symphony orchestra, wind ensemble, symphonic band, brass ensemble, string ensemble, percussion ensemble, chamber ensemble(s)... where the ensemble is generally defined but never prohibited from electronic instrument integration, reinforcement, unique instrument additions and technological experimentation... all in the interest of music.

Why should there be a rule to prohibit the possibilities that absolutely every other idiom enjoys given the free will of a composer or arranger?

• Like 2