New Rule for the next conference

On 7/24/2019 at 10:02 AM, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the opportunity to see all of the World Class Corps perform this past weekend in Texas.  While I truly enjoyed every performance, there was one thing that really bothered me.  The amount of pre-recorded singing was embarrassing for a musical performance.  It was like going to a Milli Vanilli concert.  How is it that we can have over 100 musicians perform live and yet we have to listen to pre-recorded vocals?  My suggestion is as follows:

All music is to be performed live.  Sync should be limited to "effects" and spoken word.  All singing, playing of music is to be performed live.

Thoughts?

You are my new hero.  Can we also ban the amplification of the brass line to that list.  Watching a soloist on one side of the field and hearing him on the other side is like getting water in your ear that won't come out.  When you have so many brass players being mic'd it's essentially musical fraud.  The sound manipulation madness has gotten out of control.

Edited by bluesman
clarity
  • Like 1

Corps have tried and tried the live singing thing for more than a decade now and I can count on one hand the number of times it worked.  

Boston 2017, Bluecoats 2018 and to a lesser degree  Cadets 2018 all added something great to their shows.

I would need more than all my fingers and all my toes to count the number of times that live singing distracted from perfectly good programs.

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

but you know which end of the horse we are getting and what comes out...

since 1972

3 hours ago, bluesman said:

Corps have tried and tried the live singing thing for more than a decade now and I can count on one hand the number of times it worked.  

Boston 2017, Bluecoats 2018 and to a lesser degree  Cadets 2018 all added something great to their shows.

I would need more than all my fingers and all my toes to count the number of times that live singing distracted from perfectly good programs.

Boston...15 was it?

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 8:31 PM, bluesman said:

Watching a soloist on one side of the field and hearing him on the other side is like getting water in your ear that won't come out.  When you have so many brass players being mic'd it's essentially musical fraud.  The sound manipulation madness has gotten out of control.

We discussed this earlier in the thread.  It is simple to do left and right.  We have the technology...….

Edited by Old Corps Guy

On 7/24/2019 at 11:02 AM, Old Corps Guy said:

I had the opportunity to see all of the World Class Corps perform this past weekend in Texas.  While I truly enjoyed every performance, there was one thing that really bothered me.  The amount of pre-recorded singing was embarrassing for a musical performance.  It was like going to a Milli Vanilli concert.  How is it that we can have over 100 musicians perform live and yet we have to listen to pre-recorded vocals?  My suggestion is as follows:

All music is to be performed live.  Sync should be limited to "effects" and spoken word.  All singing, playing of music is to be performed live.

Thoughts?

I want the opposite: No live singing.