Murfreesboro, TN - Friday, July 26, 2019

4 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Poorly worded.

Unlikely route to win overall... Not unlikely for them to win those visual captions.

Agree

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Imagine for a minute that drum Corps is like the Southeastern conference in football. But, there are no rules that force kids to sit out one season if they transfer.

All Alabama would need to do is open up camp where they could try out all the best players from the other conference schools, pick apart the rosters, sign up those kids for a one year turn, and win the title.

Alabama would never even have to recruit high school kids. And, why would they? They could simply weaken all of their competition by taking their best players. 

Im not saying it’s wrong, it’s the way the game is played. Historically no one plays it better than BD. Kids who have paid their dues, literally, want a medal. They are aging out and they want to go out on the medal stand. 

That is a dated perspective of recruitment in DCI.  These other contending corps are running multiple camps in multiple locations and picking up mostly veterans and collegiate music majors.

Blue Devils don't have a monopoly on talent in the way that they may have in the 90's-2010-ish.

That's why BD had to scrape out a win last night and it's going to continue that way.

• Like 2

Just now, cfirwin3 said:

That is a dated perspective of recruitment in DCI.  These other contending corps are running multiple camps in multiple locations and picking up mostly veterans and collegiate music majors.

Blue Devils don't have a monopoly on talent in the way that they may have in the 90's-2010-ish.

That's why BD had to scrape out a win last night and it's going to continue that way.

And yet they still “scrape out a win.”

Just now, MikeRapp said:

And yet they still “scrape out a win.”

Yes.  Like Bloo did a whole bunch of times before.

I don't know what it is that you think some of us are saying...

I'm just telling you that the sheets don't demonstrate any sort of distinct advantage for BD and neither does recent history.

11 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I don’t really get these BD fans who make this into some weird personal battle. It’s band. Why not just enjoy the shows? 

Huh? Maybe I missed an earlier post, but the one you quoted was something about how great both shows were and they didn’t care who won.

now, if you want to see some real nastiness, go to the DCI page post on this show. There is a lot of butthurt going on there.

16 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yes.  Like Bloo did a whole bunch of times before.

I don't know what it is that you think some of us are saying...

I'm just telling you that the sheets don't demonstrate any sort of distinct advantage for BD and neither does recent history.

Recent history? How many rookie age outs are marching BD on average, compared to everyone else, over the past decade?

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Recent history? How many rookie age outs are marching BD on average, compared to everyone else, over the past decade?

A whole lot less than you think.  BD is also marching more veterans from their program than you realize as well.

Edited by cfirwin3

41 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

A brief & brutal review. 

Great crowd as always. I’d upload a pic but that function doesn’t exist. -_-

One thing I noticed: what did side 1 do to be so neglected! Lol. Seriously. What’s with all the side 2 staging? Use the whole field!

“The report of my death was an exaggeration.” - Music. Seriously. Those complaining about music being relegated to an afterthought aren’t listening. I have very few complaints about music being played this year. 

MCDC: Cheesy. Literally. Music has never been an issue with this corps. Visuals are getting better but the programming...sheesh. You’re in the big boy league now so act like it.

Blue Stars: I was in Alaska earlier this month. I felt like I was back at Denali, especially with the 90” weather. Lol. It’s a really good show. Only complaint (and this goes for a lot corps) is to stop over-designing. Jeezus. You don’t have to put your show symbol/design/etc. on every last thing on the field. I wouldn’t be surprised if their underwear matched the show theme. Might as well tattoo it on everyone’s foreheads. Subtlety. Use an editing eye. 

Cadets: Behold! our giant stairs. Good lord the props are getting bigger every year. This show should’ve been subtitled “How Elsa Got Her Groove Back.” I can’t say I remember much else about the show other than the cringe-inducing “Do better” vocals. Yikes. 

Cavies: This was the first show that had an “it” factor. Program and design were well done. Very on brand for the Cavies. All this show needs is a little more oomph and it’ll be #### good. First standing O during a show. Props to the guard member with the red curly fro. Your hairography was EVERYTHING. (PS: thx for checking me out on Grindr. Lol). 

BAC: I’ve really fallen in love with this corps over the last several years. And that GUARD!!! I really like this year’s show. Great integration of props. The hieroglyphic poses on the plinko boards is really cool. Now Goliath himself...I almost had flashbacks to “she who shall not be named” from ‘13. Kudos for being able to run on stilts, but he needs to be more menacing. And as of right now, David is losing his shot. JUST THROW THE #### RIFLE AT HIS HEAD ALREADY! Sawing off his head was...meh. 

Crown: Until I read the reviews on here I didn’t realize how they weren’t dynamic with their dynamics. Kinda thought the guard and corps blended together. If they’re going for “we’re all the same underneath” then yeah that makes sense, but visually it’s meh. It’s been a year since I saw Corteo, but that section is less du Soleil as it is Cirque du So Gay. Tone it down, Brenda. 

SCV: So...surfer dude bro DM, more wake & less bake. Seriously you didn’t look professional at all. As a former DM, I have big issues with how other DM’s conduct themselves. Be. A. ######. While we’re on the subject of drugs...I’m not quite sure what this year’s show is about. It’s like it’s an evolution from last year but on a coke bender. I don’t really know what to take away from the show. It’s well designed and performed. Definitely deserves to medal but it doesn’t have the “it” factor like last year’s had.

BD: This show gave me life! I was grinning from ear to ear during the closer. But let’s back it up. The opening was very The Alienist (go watch it. it’s awesome) but without the homicide and Epstein vibe. I would’ve liked to have seen more intensity from the guard (like what they were giving during the tap dance section). Best use of props by any corps. They’re also doing the body movement that all the other corps wished they could do. I want this show to win and it can. Just kick it up a notch. PS: The bass drummers get a long break for a quarter of the show. Must be nice.

Bloo: Very well performed. It IS the crowd favorite by a long shot and deserves to be. I’m just not a Beatles fan so it wasn’t my cuppa tea, cuppa joe, cuppa soup, cuppa something. Kinda felt like the music was just a score for “the show.” Too much standing around. While the ending is going to be epically memorable, I still stand by my claim that it’s very college marching band. It deserves to medal based off performance alone, but win? Not imo. 

This takes the cake for my favorite DCP show review ever 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1