Allentown times have been posted

Day 1 and 2 aren't really evenly split up at the top what gives? 

That's gotta suck for those only going on Sat.

Oh when this show was 1Day...

Again what was the reasoning that they felt the need to slpit this show up? It worked fine back then.

Edited by Zeke

13 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Again what was the reasoning that they felt the need to slpit this show up? It worked fine back then.

Again, the corps are very busy at this point (driving 6+ hours a night to the next show)... so the evening that they play (which involves scheduling and housing) is determined before the competitive relationship comes to be.

49 minutes ago, Zeke said:

The split is decided prior to the season. I’m not sure if the corps decide themselves or whether it is decided by DCI. 

However, Saturday has a different feel than Friday. The crowds are often larger and it’s more like a reunion atmosphere and this year, Crown, BAC, and Cavies are on Saturday. BAC and Crown always give passionate performances in Allentown and BAC would love to take home first in Allentown, so it will be a bloodbath and David will see Goliath as the folks from Ft. Mill. Then there’s Cavaliers who as far as BAC is concerned got far too close for comfort and if the prediction of many that Cavies will beat Crown and BAC, then they will be roaring. Competitively speaking, Saturday will be more exciting than Friday.

Regarding the two days, there could be lots of reasons. Originally Allentown was an “open” show with a prelims and finals. It was a two day event. Two days harkens back to tradition and Allentown is the most traditional of the DCI events. I think some years the prelims and finals were all one day, but I don’t recall in recent years DCI East being all one day.

• Like 1

There are certain "legacy" placements for Saturday night.  The Crossmen and Cadets always play Saturday night.  One because of their history of being a Pennsylvania corps and the other because, well, Allentown.  When Cadets were in the Top 6, the show was guaranteed them being in there and it was more top-heavy than this one.

As far as how they split the other corps, it's probably determined as they put the schedules together.  They may even have done this on purpose to increase ticket sales on Friday vs. Saturday if there was an imbalance.  (I only go on Saturday because that's when the Bones Alumni picnic is.

Frankly, I think that if the rest of the schedule has minimal head-to-head competition among the top 3, it makes Indy more exciting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

There are certain "legacy" placements for Saturday night.  The Crossmen and Cadets always play Saturday night.  One because of their history of being a Pennsylvania corps and the other because, well, Allentown.  When Cadets were in the Top 6, the show was guaranteed them being in there and it was more top-heavy than this one.

As far as how they split the other corps, it's probably determined as they put the schedules together.  They may even have done this on purpose to increase ticket sales on Friday vs. Saturday if there was an imbalance.  (I only go on Saturday because that's when the Bones Alumni picnic is.

Frankly, I think that if the rest of the schedule has minimal head-to-head competition among the top 3, it makes Indy more exciting.

exactly. About half the crowd is typically Cadets/Crossmen fans

they moved Cadets to Friday once - did not end well

9 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

Ouch, rip Spirit...

Note to DCI: A tie for 14th does NOT mean that you can make a group of 4!

(If the tie were for 15th, it would make more sense to do this, but as it is, I’m not a fan.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

After intermission on Friday night, only one group out of 5 is not 'Blue'...

Will make for a unusual experience in the delivery of scores.

I wish Brandt/Dan (or do they have a legacy Allentown announcer?) would have a little fun with this. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

I know it is statistically possible, but in every single regional this year, the Mandarins have won the toss for being the last corps to perform in the 10-12 group.  That's #### lucky.  

They've gone on last in this group every show and the Crossmen and Phantom have flip flopped.

Edited to add:  I calculated the odds of winning a three-way draw three times and it's 3.7%.  Yes, Mandarins are pretty lucky.  Has this happened in any other three-some where the same corps one the "toss" three times?

Well, the system of three-way draws was spearheaded by Mandarins executive director Jim Tabuchi. 

Maybe he also got to do the draws!   Smile!

I love conspiracy theories.

Edited by PamahoNow

15 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

The crowd is usually a lot bigger on Saturday, you have a lot of Cadets, Crossmen & Boston alumi and fans 

Many of the Cadets, Crossmen, and BAC fans and alums are in Allentown  on Friday, along with lots of fans and  alums of the great corps that once dotted the East Coast, especially Massachusetts and New Jersey. They may even have tickets for Friday night, but they run into friends  and grab a beer or tailgate and never make it to the show...........🥳🎉

I never hold my breath for my friends who are alums to arrive at the show on Friday night! They rely on me to let them know what happened.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2