Winston-Salem, NC - Sunday, July 28, 2019

1 minute ago, Incognito365 said:

When I was in high school we weren't either. We made sure to give a STRICT speech to each of the new kids individually and out the fear of God in them before the competition season started. I had one who thought he was a rebel my senior year and yelled "YOU SUCK!" while a band was on the field...and was sitting right beside me. I smacked him as hard as I could on the back of his head, and during awards he was running laps around the track until awards were over. I don't play with that ****. There are bands and corps that I dont care for, but I'll be d***** if someone is going to treat them with any less than the respect they work their a**** off for!

Exactly! I just sat back down and smiled knowing I didn’t have to do anything cause the other freshmen around him was already silencing him. It was like watching your kids grow up in front of you lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Oh for ####s sake!

He's quite the little guard dog 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kbbandman said:

On the other hand, I would prefer microphones on tubas to having to listen to thunderous goo.

I think this topic deserves its own thread because I don't think that most people (even faithful, in-the-know fans) fully appreciate what the 'goo' is, what it does and why it's there.

It's USUALLY a sub frequency (an octave below the bass) that the instruments can't play, on a simple sine wave single oscillator synth.  It's a replication of a commonly (universally) used orchestral mixing/mastering technique that you can find in modern film score and commercial recording.

They are trying to get the audience to feel the music by adding sub frequencies that can't be and have never been produced by a brass line in that environment.  It is NOT a compensation for the types of horn or a cover for ability/balance.

So in that light... Hate it if you want to, for sure.  But be sure to hate it for what it is rather than what it is frequently (and wrongly) purported to be.

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 6

🥃

0dClqX1.jpg

posted from the DrumScorps app

Just now, fanman said:

With all due respect. The announcer said they now have the scores, so Marines. GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!

No one tells Marines to get out of the way.😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

The US Army Field Band has stopped on my college campus twice in my time there and they are amazing as well.

I marched with one of their horns, they were Cadets mello 2003-2006. An absolute warrior

• Like 1

OH!    First pass of the night. 

Cavies caught em

• Like 6

1 minute ago, wilme861 said:

One of my favorite parts of championship week is getting to see the Marines at Semis. Always a treat!

The Marines made me cry in Massillon.

• Like 2