Winston-Salem, NC - Sunday, July 28, 2019

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I think there won’t be a record, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see two or three 98s.

That would be impressive to see 3 in the 98 range.

But I think that the inverted content/achievement numbers in there along with Boston's guard, Crown's brass, and to a lesser extent, SCV's drums will keep the upper limit at bay.

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Have a feeling that we will see a tie. If not a tie people will claim bias and the arguments begin. 

Oh please.  That’s every day around here that ends in “day”. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

A third 98 would break the all-time high 3rd place score (97.7 by BD 1998).

EDIT: @Chief Guns beat me to it.

And wouldn’t that be awesome!

• Like 3

With the talent of these corps today, i think it won't be long before we see four corps break 97 or even five corps break 96. Neither of those have never happened. Yet.........

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I’ve thought about this a lot, so judges first rank and then score. The most important thing for them is to get the order correct and then get the spreads as they see it.

I would LOVE to see what would happen if they would not rank and instead just score. In essence, every single corps is in a single corps competition just against themselves. For example, in Brass content there are 5 corps within 0.25 pts of each other with zero ties. That’s because Harper is ranking and scoring avoiding ties as much as possible. Doing this though, corps may lose (or gain) a small amount to put them in the correct order. The judge may think they should get a 92 but because another corps has that score and this corps was “worse”, they’ll get a 91 instead.

I’m just curious what would happen to the overall scores if that mindset was used. I think the individual captions would tighten up even more as the top 6 corps as just so good but not sure how much the overall scores would change.

Yeah, with this many judges in play, i've always thought the idea of 'rank then rate' was a bit problematic for this reason. 

41 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Visual is gonna win it for BD.  They have that caption dominated like no one else in the activity.  

They move like ghosts on the field. Their body movement is so smooth, they make jazz running a rotating rectangle look easy 

• Like 6

Can someone explain physically the judging process. Is it done on paper .. is it completely independent.. who tallies it up. Are scores changed or are once done .. just added up. The mechanics of it guess is what I’m asking.

10 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

That would be impressive to see 3 in the 98 range.

But I think that the inverted content/achievement numbers in there along with Boston's guard, Crown's brass, and to a lesser extent, SCV's drums will keep the upper limit at bay.

There are your three caption winners. Bet on it.

4 minutes ago, BWise said:

Can someone explain physically the judging process. Is it done on paper .. is it completely independent.. who tallies it up. Are scores changed or are once done .. just added up. The mechanics of it guess is what I’m asking.

I believe it's done electronically now. The judges have a chance to review and modify their numbers before signing off on them at the end of the competition, and they need to verify their ranking and rating before the tabulator comes up with the final numbers.