Winston-Salem, NC - Sunday, July 28, 2019

6 minutes ago, BWise said:

Can someone explain physically the judging process. Is it done on paper .. is it completely independent.. who tallies it up. Are scores changed or are once done .. just added up. The mechanics of it guess is what I’m asking.

Ever see Johnny Carson do Carnac the Magnificent?  That about sums it up. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BWise said:

Can someone explain physically the judging process. Is it done on paper .. is it completely independent.. who tallies it up. Are scores changed or are once done .. just added up. The mechanics of it guess is what I’m asking.

They’re submitted on tablets that each judge has, which is also how they save their “tapes” for the staff. Almost every judge brings a notepad with them as well to make notes of the show or anything they just want to jot down. In WGI, the scores can be changed up until the final group in that scoring group. I assume DCI does the same. So if so, judges during Prelims would input scores for each group of corps before an intermission. Once that final corps is done (at the intermission) they submit their final scores and those are locked in.

That’s a guess (educated one) just based off WGI.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

I am active duty in the Navy. Chief Petty Officer, 22 years and counting. So much pride seeing the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. This Chief has a tear in his eye. What an honor!!

I might not always agree with this guy online, but your #### right I’ll stand up and take a bullet for this guy any day of the week. Thanks for your service my man! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Shila??

Do you mean Shia? I thought the same thing.

58 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

I think this topic deserves its own thread because I don't think that most people (even faithful, in-the-know fans) fully appreciate what the 'goo' is, what it does and why it's there.

It's USUALLY a sub frequency (an octave below the bass) that the instruments can't play, on a simple sine wave single oscillator synth.  It's a replication of a commonly (universally) used orchestral mixing/mastering technique that you can find in modern film score and commercial recording.

They are trying to get the audience to feel the music by adding sub frequencies that can't be and have never been produced by a brass line in that environment.  It is NOT a compensation for the types of horn or a cover for ability/balance.

So in that light... Hate it if you want to, for sure.  But be sure to hate it for what it is rather than what it is frequently (and wrongly) purported to be.

Thanks for that explanation (I hadn't thought of it that way) - if all that was done with the sub-frequencies is what you described, that would be different than actually covering up the tuba sounds.  These days, it is probably more of an issue on the streams than in-person problem, although I have heard a few shows live this year that had overpowering "goo" happening. Are you saying that none of the corps are doubling the tuba octave?  It sure seems like I am hearing some synth patches that are "boosting" the tuba - or is it just overtones?  I agree that it could be a topic unto itself. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Kevin. 

Haha,

I know, I thought he was joking.

I mean, maybe I'm confused. Hell, I don't know anymore!