Winston-Salem, NC - Sunday, July 28, 2019

13 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

Was at the show last night, Bluecoats did indeed have the biggest crowd response...by far, even over Crown. Cavies show is very good, not sure if they can catch Boston, but I wouldn't be surprised. I find it hard to believe that BD's horn book has more content than Bloo's. There just isn't anything there that would put it in contention with bloo's brass book. I'm sure that this late in the season the judges would have a grasp of book content from all the corps. But the most striking thing from last night was just how good every corps was, even Spirit and Phantom had well designed and entertaining shows and were performed really well, haven't been able to say that the last few years.

I also thought the response to Crown was a bit underwhelming for their home show. 

I hope Cavies stay ahead of Boston.

It's a more mature show than Boston's, better design than Crown's. Crown's brass performance scores are keeping them ahead of Cavies for now, that might change as well.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

It's a more mature show than Boston's, better design than Crown's. Crown's brass performance scores are keeping them ahead of Cavies for now, that might change as well.

Just watched the performances from last night. Crown might have the best brass, but that is the most boring visual program of the top six. The color palette from beginning to end just put me to sleep. The lack of general wow moments in the design is quite surprising. I’d give brass to crown (and not by a crazy margin) then the rest of the captions to the Cavaliers. In fact if it wasn’t for brass I’d have Crown in sixth. I will give credit that they march and play more then the others, but I’d throw that into the music scores. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Cavies caught and beat Boston by over a point last night. Maybe you meant to say overtake them for the rest of the season.

But that was only because BAC drums were in 11th !?!?!  

5 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

But that was only because BAC drums were in 11th !?!?!  

They were low the night before that, too. And the night before that...the drum score is part of the total, right?  I mean, isn't that like saying they are only as high as they are because the BAC guard is in 1st? A balanced corps will end up beating a corps that lives by one caption almost every time. 

Edited by PopcornEater1963

10 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

FWIW Bluecoats seem a lot busier than BD.

BD has

Soaring Sounds, East, Pittsburgh.  It is of note they are the only top group in Pittsburgh.

Bluecoats have

Soaring Sounds, Band of Excellence, HOF game, East, Drums along the Waterfront, and their home show in Akron.

Now, with the exception of the East Coast Classic the Bluecoats are living on top of the world in basically their home territory and are going to undeniably bring the house down in Akron...so they have motivation on their side...

...but BD will be quietly working away and improving their show

The east coast classic was a month ago and bloecoats received a huge standing O twice!  You mean the eastern classic 😉 

10 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

The east coast classic was a month ago and bloecoats received a huge standing O twice!  You mean the eastern classic 😉 

I knew someone was going to get technical. LOL. Give me a break. I hadn't had my coffee yet when I made the post!

(I also meant to post in the post ATL finals thread...whoops)

• Like 2

Allow me to indulge in a bit of humble bragging for a moment, but after years of “settling” for garden variety, CrownCLUB seating, I upgraded to a table this year. 

What a difference. 

Herman Miller Aeron style chairs, at a table for four.  No folks constantly climbing over you to get in/out their seats, and you can prop your  feet up on the table. Though for most of the evening I was either on the edge of my seat or on my feet. 

As I mentioned on Crown’s thread elsewhere, the performance levels last night—top to bottom—were simply outstanding. While dyed in the wool homers would have preferred the likes of a ‘13, ‘15 or ‘16 [run cancelled for wx that year] CC production from the aspect of being a medal contender, CrownBRASS delivered in spades. It’ll be argued long into the off-season how the visual and GE components came up short, but they certainly made a statement with their music.

Heading down the homestretch, the top tier corps are gonna be in a dogfight, and I count myself lucky to have been able to witness it live. 

Long live NightBEAT and the opportunity it provides for folks in the Carolinas to experience, first hand, DCI’s elite each season🎺🥁🎼!!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I knew someone was going to get technical. LOL. Give me a break. I hadn't had my coffee yet when I made the post!

(I also meant to post in the post ATL finals thread...whoops)

Don’t feel bad.  I put Cavies in the Detroit premiere yesterday.😳

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Don’t feel bad.  I put Cavies in the Detroit premiere yesterday.😳

I wish they had been there!

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1