Winston-Salem, NC - Sunday, July 28, 2019

So glad RainBeat wasn't on the Tour this season. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I’ve thought about this a lot, so judges first rank and then score. The most important thing for them is to get the order correct and then get the spreads as they see it.

I would LOVE to see what would happen if they would not rank and instead just score. In essence, every single corps is in a single corps competition just against themselves. For example, in Brass content there are 5 corps within 0.25 pts of each other with zero ties. That’s because Harper is ranking and scoring avoiding ties as much as possible. Doing this though, corps may lose (or gain) a small amount to put them in the correct order. The judge may think they should get a 92 but because another corps has that score and this corps was “worse”, they’ll get a 91 instead. 

I’m just curious what would happen to the overall scores if that mindset was used. I think the individual captions would tighten up even more as the top 6 corps as just so good but not sure how much the overall scores would change. 

EXACTLY my thoughts.  There are 8 categories, let a tie be a tie but a 9.2 should be a 9.2.  Avoiding the tie is inaccurately awarding or detracting points from the overall score, like a rounding error.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Recaps do not bode well for Crown. Outperforming GE 1 and 2 and Visual captions.  In the eyes of tonight’s judges, the show is tapped out.

Not happy about that .. but those  are the numbers for sure. And the gain from last night is minimal. 

Edited by BWise
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

That's a feature, not a bug.

Now that’s funny

1 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

Probably sacrilege -- but I'm a big fan of the violinist. 

Get out.

😂

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I'd argue that it's actually Visual that will be the biggest determining factor. The Bluecoats have proven at the last two regionals that they can take at least one Visual caption away from BD. If they do so while also staying competitive in everything else, I think the title is within their reach.

Good point, someone mentioned they score well in achievement across the caption, but not in substance/content. That is ominous to me, though to be fair, they added the closer. So perhaps with cleaning that may ease that concern.

6 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I agree to a certain point.  There is almost nothing of interest going on during the ballad.  To say it's a missed opportunity is the understatement of the season.

I understand why the ballad is the way it is but I agree. Problem #1 is the props. They HAVE to use them as they serve a logistical purpose, not just as a prop or effect. Unfortunately, they don’t really add much of anything to the show effect wise. I think the guard work is actually fine during the ballad. Specifically, the lack of any guard work during the climax is such a good effect but I could see people wanting a big guard impact to compliment the big moment in the brass. But there is literally NOTHING going on visually in that moment. Programming wise, I see why they did that and love it but I can see the GE and visual judges wanting something there. Staging and cohesion is the other big visual problem in the ballad. Put the show on mute and watch the ballad. Then go watch BD’s ballad and you’ll see what I mean. Does the visual complement or accentuate the music? I say no...but I still LOVE the ballad!

SCV is so close to maxing out their percussion content score. If their is one thing I am 100% confident in this season, it is SCV winning the Sanford

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 3

keep on cleaning, cavies

i predicted it could compete for top 3 back in pasadena (with terrible grammar...wasn't drunk, i swear)....and really hoping they at least give scv some good reason to look over their shoulders

• Like 3